FUNDRAISING FOR CABRILLO
For Student Groups, Academic Departments, Programs, Student Organizations, or other College-Affiliated Groups
My group would like to raise funds. How do we get started?
There are two kinds of fundraising at Cabrillo:
1) Inside Fundraising
2) Outside Fundraising
If your fundraising project involves something very simple, like:
- tabling by the student center for a bake sale
- selling calendars, trinkets, t-shirts, banners, advertising
- ticketed performances
- personal chore services, (e.g. singing telegrams, car washes)
Faculty and Staff must speak with their Dean for approval and then submit an events form to the Student Affairs office (form reserves the space on campus).
This is known as “inside" fundraising, e.g. fundraising to only the Cabrillo community of students, faculty, and staff.
- You should know that because of Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regulations, the College cannot issue gift receipts for these transactions.
- Money from Inside Fundraising must be deposited to your department's Cabrillo College Trust and Agency account.
If your group wishes to do something more, such as:
If you are applying for a grant from a public agency, you should contact Career Education and Economic Development at (831) 479-6481
- ask a person, business, or organization for a cash gift
- ask a person, business or organization for an
- hold an event
- apply for a grant from a foundation, orgranization
- Please note the Cabrillo Foundation must review any letter, e-mail, or a newsletter before it is sent out.
- The foundation may add your program to our page for the first 3 months of your campaign, if desired.
- The Approval for Fundraising Form must be submitted at least two weeks before you begin fundraising.
- In the case of events, please submit the 6 weeks prior to sending invitations or advertising your event.
- In some cases, more time might be required. Following the submission of your form, you may be contacted to come in and discuss your project.
- Following your discussion with foundation staff, your fundraising project will be considered. The foundation may make recommendations regarding its timing, method of solicitation, or other aspect of the project.
- If the request is declined, the foundation will provide an explanation for why the request was turned down. Every effort will be made to respond promptly to inquiries, recognizing that there are times when the foundation may need to obtain approval from other campus representatives.
- Money from Outside Fundraising must be deposited to the Cabrillo College Foundation.