Form 1098-T Information and Frequently Asked Questions
The 1098-T Tuition Statement is an Internal Revenue Service (IRS) form provided, by Cabrillo, to students who either registered for classes or had a reportable transaction during the tax year. Reportable transactions include the billing for any qualified tuition and fees a student must pay to be enrolled, and financial aid transactions.
Will I receive a 1098-T form? How? And When?
If you enrolled in courses during the Winter, Spring, Summer and/or Fall semesters for the prior year then we will create a 1098-T for you. Your 1098-T may also report courses registered for the following Spring as many students enroll for Spring in the prior calendar year. For example, if you registered for Spring 2014 in December 2013, the fees will be reported on your 2013 1098-T.
In an effort to go paperless, Cabrillo publishes the 1098-T to your WebAdvisor account by January 31 of each year.
How do I retrieve my 1098-T?
Why isn't there a specific year 1098-T form in WebAdvisor for me?
In certain situations, a 1098-T may not have been generated for you:
- If a valid Social Security Number (SSN) is not on file with us.
If you were billed for qualified tuition and fees in the previous tax year, those amounts will not be reflected on the current 1098-T. When reviewing your records, please take into consideration the dates you registered for classes.
Which fees are reported on a 1098-T?
Cabrillo reports tuition fees (both resident and non-resident), student representation fees, and financial aid.
There are two methods for schools to report fees. One method is to report the payments made by students during the tax year, and the other method is to report amounts billed during the tax year. The method of reporting selected by Cabrillo is to report only the amounts billed during the tax year.
What do the amounts in each box represent?
- Box 1 - Payments Received for Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses. Cabrillo does not report payments and does not use this box.
- Box 2 - Amounts Billed. This box will contain any amounts billed between January 1 and December 31.
- Box 4 – Adjustments for a Prior Year . This box will contain any billing adjustments for the prior tax year, made in the current tax year. (e.g. billing adjustments posted in 2013 for 2012 semesters.)
- Box 5 – Scholarships or Grants . This box will contain amounts posted to student accounts from Financial Aid grants, e.g. BOG, PELL, FSEOG, Cal Grants, EOPS Grants, CARE Grants, Child Development Grants and Chafee Grants in the tax year. Loans are not included.
- Box 6 – Adjustments to Scholarships or Grants for a Prior Year . This box will contain the amounts of any adjustments posted in the reporting tax year for financial aid grants in the prior tax year. (e.g. grants posted in 2013 for 2012)
- Box 7 – Checkbox for Amounts for an Academic Period Beginning in January through March 2013. This box will be checked if the invoices selected for Box 2 are for terms beginning during the first three months of the next tax year.
- Box 8 – Check if at Least Half-Time Student . This box will have a check mark if the student was enrolled in six or more units during the Spring or Fall terms, or was enrolled in three or more units for Winter/Summer sessions.
- Box 9 – Check if a Graduate Student . This box will have a check mark if the student has a Bachelor's Degree.
Do I send this form to the IRS with my tax return?
No. This form is for your information only. The 1098-T information is submitted electronically by Cabrillo College directly to the Internal Revenue Service. Information contained on the 1098-T form will be used by the IRS to determine if you qualify for an educational tax credit on your income tax return.
Where can I get more information about 1098-Ts and the educational tax credit available?
Cabrillo College cannot provide advice for determining eligibility or claiming educational tax credit. Ask your tax preparer or visit the IRS Tax Benefits for Education: Information Center for more information.
Cabrillo College Admissions & Records serves you from two locations:
Aptos: 6500 Soquel Drive, Aptos CA 95003; Voice: (831) 479-6201; FAX: (831) 479-5782
Watsonville: 318 Union Street, Watsonville CA 95076; Voice: (831) 786-4701; FAX: (831) 786-4715