STARS First Year Experience (FYE):
Learning Communities Program
STARS First Year Experience:
Writing, Reading, Math and Computer Skills
The STARS First Year Experience program starts with an 1-2 day orientation to help students be better prepared intheir transition to Cabrillo and start of the semester. During the first semester, classes focus on preparing students for college level writing and students take either a reading or math course depending on reading placement. Students also gain valuable computer proficiency in Microsoft Office, leading to a computer skills certificate. STARS also gives students a FYE seminar where they build awareness and practice success-oriented habits, using resources, time management, study and test taking techniques, and learn how to thrive in college.
In the second semester, students the next level of college English, start or continue to the next level of math, and take other courses of their choice.
The courses and classroom activities are designed to foster an environment for student success, connecting students to supportive campus resources and a positive academic community.
The STARS FYE courses for 2015-16:
1 or 2 day orientation August 27-28
Fall 2015 courses
- English 255 – basic elements of writing
- Reading 255 or Math 254, 154, or 152/142 (Pre-algebra, Beginning algebra, or Intermediate algebra)– includes math support with supplemental instruction (peer-led tutoring)
- CABT 101 – computer proficiency
- CG 51 - Introduction to College
- DMCP 130 – First Year Experience Seminar
Spring 2016 courses
- English 100 and lab - elements of writing
- Math 254, 154, 152/142, or transfer-level math (Pre-algebra, Beg. algebra, Int. algebra, Statistics, or Pre-calculus)– includes math support with supplemental instruction (peer-led tutoring)
- CABT 110A or 110B (optional) - computer keyboarding or keyboarding numbers and symbol
- Student Choice of course/s to fulfill degree requirements
Eligibility: You can join the STARS program if you:
- Are interested in being a full-time student (12 units or more per semester)
- Commit to taking STARS courses and attending STARS activites during orientation and fall and spring semester
- Have taken the assessment test and placed in English 255 and math 254,154 or 152/142
- Have not attended college full-time within the last three years and have less than 15 attempted units
- Want support in successfully transitioning to Cabrillo during their first year
Benefits for Students in First Year Experience program:
- Early / Priority Class Registration- convenient block schedule and guaranteed enrollment
- Take English and math required for community college degrees and/or to transfer to a university
- Make new friends – take classes together and meet other students and teachers at Cabrillo!
- Math Tutoring and extra support through Supplemental Instruction
- Activities and STARS Club events (career workshops, club activities, study skills workshops, etc.)
- First Year Experience Faculty - caring and committed instructors dedicated to student success