STARS First Year Experience (FYE):
Learning Communities Program
STARS First Year Experience:
Writing, Reading, and Digital Skills
The STARS First Year Experience program starts with an orientation to help students be better prepared in their transition to Cabrillo and start of the semester. During the first semester, classes focus on preparing students for college level writing and students take a college reading course. Students also gain valuable digital skills necessary for college in Microsoft Office, leading to a computer skills certificate.
STARS also gives students a Counseling & Guidance class where they build awareness and practice success-oriented habits, using resources, time management, study and test taking techniques, and learn how to thrive in college.
In the second semester, students the next level of college English, start math, and take other courses based on their educational plan.
The STARS FYE courses for 2017-18:
Orientation date - to be determined
Fall 2017 courses
- English 255 – basic elements of writing
- Reading 205 - Introduction to College Reading
- CABT 101 – Computer Proficiency in MS Office and other skills
- CG 51 - Planning for Success
Spring 2017 courses
- English 100 and lab - elements of writing
- Math 254, 154, 152/142, or 112 (Pre-algebra, Beginning or Intermediate algebra, or Prep for Statistics)– includes math support with supplemental instruction (peer-led tutoring)
- Additional courses based on student educational plan requirements
Eligibility: You can join the STARS program if you:
- Are interested in being a full-time student (12 units or more per semester)
- Commit to taking STARS courses and attending STARS activites during orientation and fall and spring semester
- Have taken the assessment test and placed in English 255 and math 254,154 or 152/142
- Have not attended college full-time within the last three years and have less than 15 attempted units
- Want support in successfully transitioning to Cabrillo during their first year
Benefits for Students in First Year Experience program:
- Early / Priority Classes- convenient block schedule and guaranteed enrollment
- Take English and math required for community college degrees and/or to transfer to a university
- Make new friends – take classes together and meet other students and teachers at Cabrillo!
- Math Tutoring and extra support through Supplemental Instruction
- Activities and STARS Club events (career workshops, club activities, study skills workshops, etc.)
- First Year Experience Faculty - caring and committed instructors dedicated to student success