STARS First Year Experience (FYE):
Learning Communities Program
STARS First Year Experience: General Education - focus on writing and Computer Skills for the Office certificate
The STARS First Year Experience program starts with an 2-3 day orientation to help students be better prepared intheir transition to Cabrillo and start of the semester. During the first semester, students take classes that focus on preparing for college level writing and reading skills while gaining valuable computer proficiency in Microsoft Office, leading to a computer skills certificate. Students also take a First Year Experience seminar where they build awareness and practice success-oriented habits, using resources, time management, study and test taking techniques, and learn how to thrive in college.
In the second semester, students the next level of college English, a math class, a computer keyboarding class, and another course of their choice.
The courses and classroom activities are designed to foster an environment for student success, connecting students to supportive campus resources and a positive academic community.
The STARS First Year Experience program courses for 2014-15:
2 day Orientation: August 28-29th: 9 am - 3:00 pm
Fall semester 2014 courses
- English 255 – basic elements of writing
- Reading 255 – develop college level reading skills
- CABT 101 – computer proficiency
- DMCP 130 - first year experience seminar
Spring semester 2015 courses
- English 100 and lab - elements of writing
- Math 254 or 154 – includes supplemental instruction (peer-led tutoring)
- CABT 110A - computer keyboarding
- CABT 110B - computer keyboarding numbers and symbols (optional this semester or next semester)
- Student Choice of course- to fulfill degree requirements
Eligibility: You can join the STARS program if you:
- Placed into English 255 and Math 254 or 154
- commit to taking STARS courses and attending STARS activites during orientation and fall and spring semester
- have not attended college full-time within the last three years and have attempted less than 15 attempted units
- want support in the successful transition to Cabrillo during their first year
Benefits for Students in First Year Experience program:
- Early / Priority Class Registration- convenient block schedule and guaranteed enrollment
- Take English and math required to transfer to a university
- Make new friends – take classes together and meet other students and teachers at Cabrillo!
- Math Tutoring and extra support through Supplemental Instruction
- Activities and STARS Club events (career workshops, club activities, study skills workshops, etc.)
- Guest Speakers and field trips related to the university and transfer opportunities
- First Year Experience Faculty - caring and committed instructors dedicated to student success