Teaching & Learning Center :: Distance Education :: Staff Development
The Flex Calendar is online for you to begin planning your schedule. Check out our Pre-Flex events offered next week, such as Blackboard Academy and Our Gang. Join the Our Gang group on a trip to the Oakland Museum of California. “The rich diversity of our student population can be contextualized within the museum’s walls,” as you learn about past generations of Californians. See the Flex website for details.
Just a reminder: you will now submit your Flex Agreement Forms ONLINE. (Paper forms will no longer be accepted.)
Please watch this 2 minute YouTube video to learn how to submit forms online. The regulations have not changed, just the reporting method. For more details on required Flex time, and Flex guidelines, visit the Staff Development website at:
- Is exercise part of your New Year's resolution? Stop by the Precision Wellness Center for a free day pass and tour. Greg or Haley will be there every day 9am—7pm. Located next to the parking garage by the Health and Wellness Center. Just follow the signs.
- Canceled event: Monday, Feb. 4, 'Scuse Me While I Teach This Class: Film and Music in Non-Film and Non-Music Classrooms
Is Your Blackboard Site Ready?
- Beginning of the semester checklist
- Evaluation standards for online and hybrid courses
- Evaluate the technical quality of your course
This month we will focus on Blackboard Mobile Learn, Cabrillo Google Apps, and a fun YouTube workshop on Halloween. Learn how to use a shared calendar, create a webpage with Google Sites, and share documents with students and colleagues. [check the calendar] You can always contact us to arrange for personal training (PT) on Blackboard, Google Apps, Dreamweaver, iTunesU, or any of the MS Office applications. Helping you move forward with technology is our goal.
- Google Apps, Wed, 2/20, 3–4:30, room 1096
- Going Mobile: devices and apps for iOS devices, Tues, 2/26, 2–3:30, room 1096
- YouTube Videos for Beginners, Wed, 3/6, 12–1:30, room 1096
- Google Apps, Thurs, 3/14, 10–11:30, room 1096
- Blackboard Mobile Learn,, Tues, 3/19, 10–11:30, room 1096
- Blackboard Mobile Learn, Wed, 3/27, 3:30–5, room 1096
There are still some courses available for early Spring 2013, with NEW sections added for late Spring 2013. Each year, @ONE offers over 100 trainings, drawing more than 8,500 registrations. Workshops are taught by knowledgeable instructors who tailor their content to the specifics of the community college setting. The programs are also structured to fit a busy faculty or staff member’s schedule. Check out their desktop seminars, online courses, and online teaching certification.
Creating Accessible Online Courses
2/19/13 - 3/15/13 (Pacific Time)
Designing Effective Online Assessments
2/11/13 - 3/08/13 (Pacific Time)
Introduction to Teaching with Blackboard 9.1
3/04/13 - 3/29/13 (Pacific Time)
Introduction to Online Teaching and Learning(New)
4/8/13 -5/3/13 (Pacific Time)
Building Online Community with Social Media(New)
4/15/13 - 5/10/13 (Pacific Time)
Big Discounts for Faculty, Staff and Students on MS Office, Adobe Creative Suite and Photoshop
MS Office Professional Plus at $39.99! Discounted software for faculty, staff and students at CollegeBuys.org
Stay up-to-date on standards for online media and web design
Making web pages accessible to students with disabilities