...I'm glad you Asked!
Is the course really entirely online?
How do I reach my Instructor?
Turning in the Homework
Solutions, Questions & Resources
Is the course really entirely online? with no face-to-face contact or instruction?
- Participation through the BlackBoard tools includes: Discussion boards, email, chat, IM, Class Roster tool and feedback. Your participation not only enhances your own learning, it benefits other students in the class. Your level of participation is reflected in your grade.
- It is vital to communicate with the rest of the class. This will be done using Blackboard, an online class management system maintained by the Teaching Learning Center at Cabrillo. All communication will be completed using this system.
How do I reach my Instructor, David A?
- All communication will be completed using the Blackboard online system.
- It is required that you log into this class at least 3-4 times/week.
- Use the Instructor's Office Board in the Discussion area - this is for posting questions that pertain to general requirements and expectations only. In contrast, post questions pertaining to the text, projects, etc. in the appropriate Chapter Discussion Board.
- Use Blackboard Email for non-coursework questions.
- Office Hours use the Discussion areas. Blackboard Chat and IM may also be used but with limited availability.
We are using QuickBooks Pro 2010. Can I us older versions of QuickBooks?
- The company files we will be using were created with the 10 version; generally you cannot open newer files with older versions = most likely you cannot open the company files with 09 or older programs.
- If you are currently using a different version of the software, it is recommended that you install the trial version in a DIFFERENT location.
I have a Mac, can I still take the
class and use QuickBooks Pro for the Mac?
- Yes! BUT - Mac users can use the Mac version but there are several differences that you will have to resolve between the text and the software. If you don't want to make these changes, you should use the computer lab or some other source to complete the assignments. The instructor has only the 2010 Windows version.
Where can I get the Student Files for the homework? Are there Mac versions?
- The Student Files do NOT come with the textbook but can be downloaded from the publisher's site at no charge - you will be instructed to do this in Session 2.
- A CD with these files might be purchased from the Cabrillo Bookstore; Student CD to Accompany Learning Quickbooks 2010, Brunsdon, ISBN 9780132166591.
- Download Quick books portable company files List:
What if my version
of MS Office doesn't include Access?
- MS Office 2010 is the default; if you
double-click a file to open it, it will open in 2010.
- Office 2010 allows you to save a file
as a 97-2003 file or a 2007/2010 file.
Can I use Open Office?
Can I use MS WORKS?
Turning in Homework
Do I turn in QuickBooks Files for the Homework?
- No. Excel will be used to electronically submit assignments and projects. You export the files to Excel Workbooks.
- Each report you turn in will be a separate worksheet in ONE Workbook file.
- You may use either the 2003 or 2007 or 2010 versions but be sure that when you save the file you use either the .xls or .xlsx extension.
How do I know my work is accurate? - Starting with Chapter 3 in Session 4, you can use the check figures to check your work. I have provided the link in each class session as needed, but here it is:
Also, I'll be posting solutions in the announcements Discussion Board (the one you are reading in now) AFTER deadlines have passed. AND, if you balance your figures and check the Trial Balance report, you'll always have a good idea if your work is accurate!
How do I get an account?
Activate your account at
the accounts computer at the CTC, Library, WTC, Scotts Valley, or
anywhere on campus at https://student-accounts.cabrillo.edu/.
You will need your Student ID number (not SS#).
For more info: http://www.cabrillo.edu/services/ctc/accountinfo.html
Do I need my student
ID number in order to activate my account ?
Yes, your student ID number
can be found in WebAdvisor, on your registration papers, on your
student ID card, or at admissions and records. If you don't have
those options available, contact the CTC front desk.
Is the Campus network,
Hawknet, and Blackboard account the same?
Can I activate my
account at the Blackboard login Page?
Yes! Blackboard Login Page
here for more CTC (Computer Technology Center) information
on student folders, accounts, passwords and so on.
Which Browsers and
Operating Systems are supported by BlackBoard?
doesn't support (run correctly) on all browsers and operating systems:
some because they are too old, some too new or not yet popular enough. Click
links: to see what browsers and operating systems are supported
link1 | link
Is there help with
Yes, there is Help Desk Support.
The TLC’s Blackboard Help Desk is staffed Mon-Fri
8-5, Fri 9-3, and provides email and web
support. It is staffed by student assistants who have taken classes
using Bb. Student emails are answered the first
weekend of the new term by Francine. A new TLC position was submitted
to HR for classification study. It will
include Blackboard admin duties not previously outlined in an LIA position.
Also, you can view "students
explain Assessments, Assignments, Discussions, and other tools on Blackboard
http://cabrillo.edu/services/disted/ | http://cabrillo.edu/services/tlc/about.html
Is there wireless access
Yes, in most areas. Hawknet is a free wireless internet service provided
by Cabrillo College to its staff and students.
Can I use my Laptop?
Yes. When you open your browser you will prompted with a login screen
to enter your Student Account username and password.
Does our 515 classroom have wireless access?
Yes; but don't forget that
you need to use the Laptop Login (515, 515) and then your student login
when you open the browser to access the Internet. You don't need the
laptop Login when using your own laptop, just the student account when
you open a browser.
Extra Credit Discussion Post
Where do I find the
topics and where do I find the answers?
The topics are listed on
the indexed at the bottom of the Assignments page on my website AND on the Extra Credit Page.
You are given a question
and, in most cases, a brief primer on the topic and/or links. These
are meant to help you get started. HOWEVER, I expect you to
use other sources
online, in print or by interview that you find yourself. Using the
computer to research answers is preferred. Remember to choose two topics from the list for each Discussion and make two original posts and respond to two other student's posts.
Where do I post the
Go to Blackboard and choose
Discussions from the menu on the left. Type or cut & Past your answer
appropriate window for each specific extra credit post by
Discussion X number.
Can I access your website and Blackboard from off campus?
Yes! You can access them from anywhere in the world if you have an Internet
Do I need my Student Account to open your class website?
No. It is not password protected. No login is needed. You just need
to remember the URL address.
What resources Are There
to Help Me Do My Homework?
Resources For Homework
(Assignments and Discussions in Blackboard)
the F1 Help menu Function key on your keyboard
- Watch the Videos that Instructor Cheryl Furbee has graciously shared
with us for many parts of the Homework Sessions.
- Ask another student for
help via Blackboard resources:
1. Who's Online, 2. Post a question under the Discussions
area in the "Student Office Suite Question Forum",
3. Blackboard Mail to your instructor or to other students.
- Chapter Discussion Boards - There will be a separate Discussion Board for each Chapter. Post questions and answer questions in the Discussion board for each chapter (This is a student and Instructor forum. I'll usually chime in last.)
How can I know if my work is correct?
- Complete the End-Of-Chapter Questions. Check your answers against the solutions.
- Practice Set (the Graded Companies) and Project Check Figures (Check Figures)
- Appendix E page 917 solutions for the You Try It Exercises
- Trial Balance
- I'll Post The Excel solutions for the work you turn in after the cut off dates for homework.
are some Keyboard Shortcuts I can use in all MS Office software?
C = Copy
V = Paste (Move)
X = Cut
Z = Undo
Y = Redo
= Help Menu
A = Select All
P = Print
B = Bold
I = Italic
U = Underline
= Spell Check
Extra Help with your difficult software?
Safe to Click 1 | Safe to Click 2 | EvenHelp? Patience