Tracker requires Java but now supplies its own open-source video engine Xuggle. QuickTime is also supported on Windows and OS X.
1. Verify and/or install Java
- See if Java version 1.6 or higher is installed on the host computer. Note: Windows users must run Tracker in a 32-bit Java VM to use Xuggle or QuickTime, even on a 64-bit computer. If unsure, or Java is not installed, continue with the next step.
- Download the most recent Java installer from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/. The JRE (Java Runtime Environment) is all you need unless you're a Java developer. Note: Windows users should download the file described as "Windows x86 Offline" or "Windows x86 Online."
- Double-click the installer and follow the instructions.
2. Install Tracker (with Xuggle)
- Download the tracker installer for your platform (Windows, Mac OS X, or Linux) from Tracker's home page at http://www.cabrillo.edu/~dbrown/tracker/.
- Follow the Installer Help instructions at http://www.cabrillo.edu/~dbrown/tracker/installers/installer_help.html. Be sure to include Xuggle in the installation for maximum functionality.
3. Install QuickTime if desired (not available for Linux)
- QuickTime is automatically included on OS X. Windows users may download the QuickTime installer from http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/.
- Double-click the installer and follow the prompts to complete the installation. Note: it is NOT necessary to purchase QuickTime Pro.
4. Upgrade Tracker when new versions are released
- Download the tracker installer for your platform, choose the Upgrade option and follow the instructions. Upgrades may include Tracker, Xuggle and/or other components.
5. Launch Tracker
- Windows: choose the Tracker item in the Start Menu.
- OS X: double-click the Applications/Tracker.app file.
- Linux: seearch for and double-click the Tracker application.
6. Run Tracker from a USB drive (optional)
- Download Tracker-USB.zip and unzip onto a USB drive. The extracted Tracker-X.XX folder contains the files tracker.jar, tracker_starter.jar and .tracker.prefs.
- Plug the USB drive into a host computer with Java installed.
- Open the Tracker-X.XX folder on the USB drive and double-click tracker_starter.jar (not tracker.jar) to launch Tracker.
- No additional software is needed to open still images and animated GIFs on the host.
- If Xuggle is installed on the host then it can be used to open videos.
- If QuickTime is installed on the host then it can be used to open videos.
Congratulations! To start using Tracker, see getting started.