Diane's Curriculum Vita
Employers and Positions
- English Instructor 1998-present
- Writing Center Director and English Instructor, 1998-2000 and 2002-2010
- English Program (department) Chairperson, 2003-2006 and 2008-2009
- Cabrillo Basic Skills Coordinator, 2006-2009
- Interim Reading Program Chairperson, spring 2006
- English Division Chairperson, 2000-2002 (English, ESL, Reading & Journalism Departments)
- Continuing Lecturer, English Department, June 1997-June 1998
- Instructor, School of General Studies, September 1997-March 1998
- Instructor and Graduate Teaching Assistant, English Department, Northeastern University, Boston, MA, September 1995-June 1997
- Editorial Assistant, Richard Wright Newsletter, English Department, September 1996-June 1998
- Assessment Reader and Administrative Assistant, English Department, August 1996-June 1998
- Editorial Assistant, Sojourner (Anthology of poetry from the literary journal of the same name), February 1998-June 1998
- NU Graduate Fellow, Martha's Vineyard Workshops on the Teaching of Writing, Summer 1996
- Writing Center Tutor, English Department, January-March 1996
University of California, BerkeleyElectrical Engineering Department
- Faculty Assistant, January 1994-July 1995
- Undergraduate Assistant and Scheduler, January 1993-August 1993 (maternity leave substitute)
University of California, Santa Cruz
- Undergraduate Teaching Assistant, "America and Americans" (AS 001), spring 1991
- Undergraduate Teaching Assistant, "Introduction to Feminism" (WS 001), fall 1990
- Co-Founder, Mixedblood Student Alliance, January 1990
- Cook and Staff Coordinator, Sierra Service Project, Round Valley Native American Reservation, Covelo, CA, June-August 1989 and 1990
- CCFT (faculty union) Newsletter Editor, Fall 2012-present
- English Writing Awards Committeee, 2011-present
- English Department Composition Committee, 1998-2009
- Cabrillo Matriculation Advisory Committee, 1998-2009 and 2010-2011
- Cabrillo Basic Skills/Emerging Scholars/ACES Committee, February 2006-present (Chair fall 2006-spring 2009)
- Disabled Student Services Case Conference attendee, 1999-2008
- Puente Mentor, 2001-2002 and 2006-2008
- CCFT Division Representative, 2007-2008
- Cabrillo Curriculum Committee, 2000-2003
- English Division Basic Skills Committee, 2000-2002
- English Division Writing Center Committee, 1998-2002
- Division Chair Councilmember, 2000-2002, 2000-2002
- Council on Instructional Planning, 2000-2002
- Faculty Senator, 1999-2000
- Technology Committee (Faculty Senate Rep.), 1999-2000
- English Department Program Planning (several committees 1999- 2000)
- Cabrillo Swing Club Faculty Advisor, 1998-1999
- Graduate Student Association (EGSA) Representative to the Writing Programs Committee, English Department, September 1996-June 1997
- Book Selection Committees, Basic Skills and First Year Composition, English Department, spring 1996 and 1997
Staff Development Coordination
- Organizer of guest speakers and On Course Workshops as Basic Skills Coordinator, Fall 2006-Spring 2009
- August 2008 Flex co-presenter, "The Emerging Scholars Institute: Moving Forward"
- February 2008 Flex co-presenter, "Great Student Writing: English Writing Awards
- August 2007 Flex co-presenter, "Imagine..." Planning a Title V Grant
- June 2007 graduate On Course I Three-Day Workshop (Facilitator Jonathan Brennan)
- February 2007 Flex co-presenter, "Great Student Writing: English Writing Awards"
- February 2007 Flex co-presenter, "Basically Cabrillo: a Town Hall Meeting to Discuss Progress to Date on Basic Skills
- January 2004 Flex panelist, "Travel/Foreign Language Study" and co-presenter, "Using Rubrics in the Teaching of Writing"
- August 2002 Flex coordinator, "Basic Skills at Cabrillo" and "Educators in Industry" Tour Leader, Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk
- August 2001 Flex coordinator, "Reading and Writing Across the Cabrillo Curriculum"
- June 2001 Educators in Industry Tour Leader, EDS/Seaside
- January 2001 Flex panelist and coordinator, "Eligibility for English 100"
- January 1999 Flex co-presenter, "Writing in the Wide World: strategies for using the Internet to teach Writing"
- Co-Facilitator, Writing Programs faculty development workshop: "Whose Academic Discourse? Workplace Literacies and the Writing Curriculum," English Department, April 1998
- CO-Facilitator, Writing Programs faculty development workshop: "Race and Gender Issues in the Classroom," English Department, December 1997
- Workshop CO-Facilitator, 1997 TA Training: "Handling Emotions in the Classroom," English Department, September 1997
- Workshop CO-Facilitator, 1996 TA Training: "Commenting on Student Papers," English Department, September 1996
Colloquia and Publications
"The California Crash at One Community College: Cabrillo College Writing Center/ESL Lab," in Praxis: a Writing Center Journal. University of Texas, Austin. Volume 1, Issue 1 (Debut issue), Fall 2003.
Presenter (with Winnie Baer): "Corequisite Support Classes at Cabrillo College in English." Reinventing Transfer: An Intersegmental Faculty Forum to Increase the Transfer-Ready Pool of Students Conference, San Jose City College, April 19, 2002 (sponsored by UCSC and Community College Regional Council).
Conference Panelist (with Topsy Smalley): "A Collaborative Call to Action: Information Literacy for the Community College Student in the Age of Electronic Sources." English Council of California Two-Year Colleges State Conference, Sacramento, CA, October 18, 2001.
Book Review: Where We Stand: Class Matters, by bell hooks (Routledge 2000). In Politics and Culture, an online journal of Cultural Studies, Issue 4, December 2000.
"Institution as Text: A Community College Grapples with Affirmative Action." Politics and Culture, an online journal of Cultural Studies, Issue 4, December 2000.
Conference Panelist: "Negotiating Identities through Narratives." National Council of Teachers of English Stories in the Classroom Conference, Tucson, AZ, April 30, 1999.
Book Review: The Color of Jazz: Race and Representation in Postwar American Culture, by Jon Panish (University Press of Mississippi 1997). In The Richard Wright Newsletter, Fall/Winter 1997-1998.
Guest Lecturer, America and Americans (AS 001): "Native American Boarding Schools in Ceremony, by Leslie Marmon Silko" University of California, Santa Cruz, spring 1991.
Awards and Recognition
- Faculty Appreciation Award, Cabrillo College, December 2007
- Faculty Appreciation Award, Cabrillo College, December 2007 (for entire Writing Center staff)
- Faculty Appreciation Award, Cabrillo College, December 2002 (for entire Writing Center staff)
- Early Tenure, Cabrillo College, November 2000
- Faculty Appreciation Award, Cabrillo College, spring 2000 for Swing Club and Faculty Senate
- Faculty Appreciation Award, Cabrillo College, fall 1999 for English 1A
- "Excellence in Teaching" Award for Graduate Teaching Assistants, Northeastern University, June 1997
- MA Comprehensive Examination Medalist (8 out of 8 Honors), English Department, Northeastern University, May 1997
- Graduate Essay Contest Winner in both Writing and Literature, English Department, Northeastern University, May 1997