May 15 - SETI session w/ Peter Jenniskens to finalize observational plans and test equipment setups. With Chris Kitting and Julie Bellerose.
May 22 - SETI session w/ Peter Jenniskens, Mike Koop, Mike Winters, and Julie Bellerose. Calibrated continuum lamp video recording through my final planned equipment configuration. Similar for Julie.
* Done 5/20: SC Electronics; variable VDC from 12V battery to supply to video goggles. Headgear requires ~11V DC input.
* Done 5/22: Switch to 50mm f/1.8 lens system and screw-on transmission grating. Faster system, easier tracking than 18-200mm lens planned earlier. Record calibration imaging in the SETI lab.
* Done 5/22: Replace tripod head plate screw w/ M6 1.0 screw for compatibility with Davis ring system to make more rigid support for lens/video system.
* Testing/practice & logistics discussion session w/ the team - likely from Kitting's place. Include spectrophotometry of Vega, Spica.
* practice session in planetarium for familiarity w/ Australian sky night of re-entry, up to re-entry time.
* Done 5/29: Build 12VDC battery pack (D-cells) to augment/replace gel cell purchase in Australia. Consider powering dew heater via vehicle socket (will likely need to wire a beefier 12VDC extension than currently own). D, C, AA batteries deliver, each, 12amp-hr, 7.8amp-hr, and 2.4amp-hr. So 8 D cells ought to deliver 12amp-hr at 12VDC. PC164C cameras draw 100ma = .1amp at 12VDC. iGoggles draw 270ma.
* sew on "Hayabusa" patch to gear vest.
* read camcorder manual and figure out how to remove on-screen clutter
* Done 5/25: find star pairs for Bay Area evenings, for testing on 20.7 deg offset = sodium D lines, and H-alpha for Vega etc.
Power supply testing and configuration results
Resource Calculations for Recording Emission Lines
Gear to Bring (Quantas Baggage Allowances) (OL1000 bag=12x15x9=36in, max allowed wt=15lb) 1.5carryon, 2 Checked
* your compact inverter, to enable powering PC164's and video headgear straight from car battery if necessary using power strip and wall worts.
* gear vest (glasses)
* tools (needlenose pliers, diamondback allen wrench set,
* seasonal star charts book, or photocopies of so hemisphere C2A charts more efficient, for entire team.
* Make trajectory charts for short-list of final observing sites.
* clothes: RaceReady pants, reg shoes, green j's, Patagonia jacket, down jacket, foxfur cap, gloveliners, SCTC sweatshirt?, red kayakers hat, down jacket (stuff sacked), Patagonia jacket, 2pr socks, 2 T-shirts (incl NASA)
* Empty water bottles for flight. In-flight sandwiches etc.