copyright Steve J. Hodges http://steveh.net/cs19/guide.html
Guidelines for programming assignments
- You must have a comment block at the top of each file (except a Makefile) which includes
- your full name
- pengo account name
- your preferred email contact address
- assignment name and number
- short description or purpose of the program/ object/ code in the file
- code status (one of the following)
- not working, known reason
- not working, unknown reason
- does the program compile? any errors or warnings?
- any comments or questions that you have
- Describe each function and class. At a minimum, briefly describe the purpose and usage.
- Comment obscure or difficult code.
- Global variables are prohibited.
- Use descriptive and concise identifier names.
- Use proper indentation.
- Code, functions, and classes should be modular.
- Program defensively.
- Avoid use of break, continue, goto (control structure "hidden controls")
- Avoid use of .eof() and .good() on input streams
- Make sure you are following the directions for an assignment.
- Code files and header files must use the extensions ".cpp" and ".h" respectively.
- Makefiles should be named "makefile" or "Makefile".
- Follow the assignment specied filnames (or folder names) and locations for your project file(s).