Culinary Arts and Wine Instructor
- A.S Degree, Cabrillo College, 1979, Food Service Technology
- Diplome de l'Annee, Le Cordon Bleu, Paris, 1980
- B.S. Degree, University of Phoenix, Business Management
- Society of Wine Educators:
- CSW (Certiified Wine Specialist)
- FWS (French Wine Scholar)
- Diploma from the Academy of Wine in Spain
Brief Professional History:
- 1977-1986: Line cooking and food prep at various restaurants and caterinf businesses in the area including The Mansion House and The Old Bath House.
- 1983-1986: Sous Chef for Michael's Catering
- 1986-2005: Chef/proprietor of Sous City Catering
- 1987-1997: Part-time teaching at Cabrillo College
- 1997-present: Full-time faculty in Culinary Arts
- 2015-present: Program Chair, Culinary Arts
I have been involved in Culinary Arts for over 35 years. Since 2000, I have become more interested and involved in teaching wine classes. I have developed curriculum for 3 15-unit wine certificates that will eventually lead to an Associate's program in Enology that will be transferable to the schools that offer B.S. degrees in enology.
- Wine and Wine Service Certification
- World Wines
- Tasting Room Management
I am active in the wine community and I am a member of a wine-making co-op.
My culinary experience is diverse in that I have worked in restaurants in Paris and in California. I've worked for caterers and have owned my own catering business. I've won awards in culinary salons. But the thing I enjoy most is teaching and sharing the experiences with my students and get them launched in the field that they are most passionate about.
Classes that I teach:
- CAHM 50ABC: Beginning culinary theory
- CAHM 50L: Beginning culinary lab, where the students run a restaurant at lunch
- CAHM 57: Catering lecture
- CAHM 157L: Catering lab at The Sesnon House, where we do events for the public; weddings, dinners, etc.
- CAHM 63: Garde Manger: Cold food presentation
- CAHM 172: Wine and Wine Service: Basic wine class
- CAHM 174: World Wine
- CAHM 156SP: Spanish Wine
- CAHM 156PC: Pinot Noir and Chardonnay
- CAHM 156FC: Champagne and French Sparkling Wine
...and more to come!