"There is one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that is your own self."
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
ESL Instructor at Cabrillo College
Academic Background and Experience
- B.A. in English, Kabul University, Afghanistan, 1973
- M.A. in ESL, U. of Northern Iowa, 1976 (Fulbright Scholar)
- Prof. of English, Kabul University, 1973-4 and 1976-78
- ESL Instructor, St. Mary's College, Moraga, Ca., 1978-80
- ESL Instructor, Cabrillo College, 1984-present
- ESL Instructor , Intensive English Health Program Course, UCSC, 1988
- ESL Program Director, Cabrillo College, 1993-95
- ESL Instructor, Georgetown University, Washington, DC, Fall, 2000.
- ESL Program Chair, Cabrillo College, 2001-06
I was born and raised in Kabul, Afghanistan. I moved to this country in 1978 and have lived in Santa Cruz since 1980. I learned English as a Second Language and thus have a special appreciation for the difficulties ESL students face in learning the language and adapting to a new culture. My life has been very enriched by working with students of many different cultures from around the world. Because of my interest in learning about different cultures, I travel whenever I can and have been to many places around the world, (but still have a long list yet to visit!).
In Fall, 2009, I took a one-semester sabbatical trip to South America to learn about the different cultures of many of my students, and also to learn some Spanish. I visited Brazil, Argentina, Chile, and Peru. It was an amazing journey and it gave me a much deeper appreciation about some of the many difficulties my students face in adjusting to a new culture and a new language.
phone: (831) 479-6398
|Cabrillo College Department Link / 6500 Soquel Dr. / Aptos, CA 95003|
|Last Updated: 8/24/00|