These pages are intended as general information as you prepare for entry into the DH Program. Specific detail, dates, deadlines, and details will be emailed to you, as well as discussed at the New Student Orientation and Clinical Compliance meetings.
Clinical Compliance Session
Attend the required Spring Clinical Compliance Meeting. Please arrive early to allow time to find parking (campus parking permits required). Purchase a folder to use as a "Professional Documents Folder." Keep copies of immunizations, test results, correspondence, and forms regarding the DH Program. Bring a pen or pencil and paper for taking notes along with your "Professional Documents Folder." Please do not begin any program or clinical compliance requirements until after clinical compliance meeting.
Regardless of prior certification, each student is required to obtain and/or maintain current American Heart Association (AHA) or American Red Cross (ARC) Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers.
- A photocopy of the front and back of the Course Completion Card must be provided and kept on file in the DH Program Office.
- A scanned copy of the front and back of the Course Completion Card must be uploaded to the Certified Document Tracker by the date specified.
New Student Orientation
Attend the required Spring New Student Program Orientation Meeting.
Please arrive early to allow time to find parking (campus parking permits required). Purchase a folder to use as a "Professional Documents Folder." Keep copies of immunizations, test results, correspondence, and forms regarding the DH Program. Bring a photo ID (California Drivers license). Bring a pen or pencil, paper for taking notes.
Approximate Financial Expenditures
- Cabrillo College student tuition, fees and books for the duration of the program.
- Dental hygiene student instructional kit is approximately $5500-$6000.
- Required purchase of loupes (magnifying glasses) at approximately $1200.
- Additional expenses are uniforms and miscellaneous supplies, such as gloves and masks.
- For the full itemized program cost please follow this LINK.
- National Board and Regional Board exams will be taken at the end of the second year. Fees will vary depending on the exam each student chooses to take.
Dental hygiene applicants for licensure who have or pled nolo contendere to any offense, misdemeanor, or felony in any state, region, country, under the provisions of penal code §1203.4, applicants must report any convictions or pleas of “nolo contendere” irrespective of a subsequent order that expunges the criminal record. “Conviction” includes any infractions, misdemeanors, or felonies. Applicants that provide false information, when there is a previous conviction or plea, may have their application denied for knowingly falsifying the application pursuant to §480(d) of the Business and Professions Code.
Applicants who have committed a felony should contact the Dental Hygiene Committee of California (DHCC) to determine their eligibility to take the state licensure examination before entering the program.
“Being in the dental hygiene program helped me prove that I could overcome any obstacles thrown at me. It has been the most challenging, yet rewarding, path I have experienced in my academic career, and I wouldn’t change any part of that journey for the world. The program taught me how to better my social skills, how to challenge myself academically, and how to become the best medical professional I can be. Since graduating from the program, I have been working at a private practice in downtown San Francisco, and I was able to purchase my first home!”-- Toshiko Cooper