Skip to Site Navigation | Skip to Local Navigation | Skip to Content
ALERT: Your registration date and time may have changed    read more

Contact Information

Location Assessment Center
Student Activity Center West
Phone 831.479.6165
Fax 831.479.6169
Office Hours Mon-Thurs: 8:30am-4:30pm
Fri: 9am-12pm
We're in the office at these times unless noted on the calendar or if we're in Watosnville.
Cabrillo Campus
Student Talking to Staff Member

Assessment/Placement Process at Cabrillo College

What is Assessment?

Assessment is the process Cabrillo uses to place you into the best math, English, or English as a Second Language (ESL) course. We use multiple factors to determine the placement so you can begin in the highest level class.

We’ll talk with you about your options and which class to take, based on your recommended placement and your educational goals.

All new, first-time college students are required to go through the assessment process and it is also required to maintain priority registration.

A combination of your test score and high school GPA are used to determine your placement. We encourage you to bring a copy of your high school transcript with you to assessment.

If you have assessed at another college, send or bring your results to the Welcome Center Admissions & Records Office or a counselor for evaluation proof of that so you can skip our another assessment.

Do I Need to Assess?

  • You need assessment if you are working towards a degree or certificate, if you are taking a class that has a math or English prerequisite, or you want the earliest possible registration time.

Who Does Not Need to Assess?

  • Any student who is just taking a class for personal enrichment, such as an art class, and has no educational goal, such as a degree or certificate or plans to transfer to a university. If the student’s plans change, then he or she may need to assess. (See answer above) Students without an identified educational goal will not get priority registration.
  • Students who have already earned an Associate Degree or higher do not need to assess, unless they are enrolling in a class that has a prerequisite. It is important to send your official transcripts to the Admissions and Records Office for Cabrillo to verify your degree and clear prerequisites.
  • Students who have particular scores from the following exams do not need to assess:
    • California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP, a K-12 standardized test),
    • Advanced Placement (AP),
    • CLEP,
    • International Baccalaureate (IB) scores
  • You have already assessed at another college.
  • If you are only enrolled in a course that is legally mandated for your employment due to a change in your industry’s standards or a change to licensure standards.
  • If you are already in a math or English course sequence at Cabrillo.
  • If you will be enrolling in some classes offered through Accessibility Support Center (ASC). Check with them (831) 479-6379.

See Cabrillo catalog to see what level scores are needed to not test here.
See the FAQs page for how to submit these scores to Cabrillo.

Using Self-Reported GPA or Test Score Only?

You may be asked in some situations to tell us what your high school GPA is. Having a copy of your high school transcript will make this easier.  

Reasons we might need this information:

  • Your grades are not in the CalPASS system. We will ask then for your high school GPA and specific course grades in math and English.
  • Students that attended high school outside the US
  • Students that have not completed grade 11 in the US will be placed in courses by their assessment test scores only.
  • If you were home-schooled, your course placement will be based on your discussion of grade-related information.
Taking the Assessment   FAQs
    Was this page helpful?    
Ask Cabrillo WebAdvisor Cabrillo Library Cabrillo Bookstore  Canvas icon  Facebook Icon Twitter Icon YouTube

© 2013 Cabrillo Community College District

Campus Safety | Accessibility | Title IX

Main Campus, 6500 Soquel Drive Aptos CA 95003, 831.479.6100