Skip to Site Navigation | Skip to Local Navigation | Skip to Content
Fall Courses Update

Fall Semester delay due to fires — starts August 31. Learn More Register Now

Fire Safety/Evacuation Center

Wildfire resources for impacted students, employees, and County residents. Learn More


Resources for students and information about our response. Learn More

Special Circumstances

Family Contribution Appeal

In certain situations, students and/or their families may appeal for a re-evaluation of their eligibility for financial assistance by filing a Family Contribution Appeal. If your family is facing a change in financial circumstances that occurred since January 1st of last year or since you completed your FAFSA, you and/or parent(s) may be eligible to start the Income Change Process. NOTE: This process needs to be completed online through your MyVerify account.

Examples of Family Contribution we will consider include:

  • Students or Spouse (if applicable) loss of Job/Reduction of Wages
  • Parent(s) loss of Job/Reduction of Wages
  • Separation or Divorce
  • Death of a Parent
  • Death of Spouse
  • Loss of Alimony
  • Loss of Child Support
  • Loss of Workman's Compensation
  • Loss of benefits (i.e. TANF, Social Security)
  • Unusual Medical Expenses Not Reimbursed by Insurance

Required documentation for Family Contribution Appeal may include but not limited to:

Documentation is critical and necessary in making this decision.


Dependency Override Appeal

Students with adverse or unusual circumstances may be considered for a dependency status change by filing a Dependency Appeal with the Financial Aid Office. This may be done after you complete your FAFSA. If you have any questions, please make an appointment with your Financial Aid Advisor.

Examples of unusual and/or adverse circumstances for Dependency Appeal Consideration:

  • Your parents are incarcerated
  • You left home due to an abusive family environment
  • You do not know where your parents are and you are unable to contact them (Abandonment)
  • You are older than 21 but not 24 and unaccompanied and either homeless or self-supporting and at risk of being homeless

Required documentation for a Dependency Appeal may include but not limited to:

  • A police report
  • A statement on official letterhead from a social agency representative; therapist; clergy; court official; and/or High School educator who is knowledgeable of your situation

Documentation is critical and necessary in making this decision.


How to Initiate the process for a Family Contribution Appeal or Dependency Appeal:

Email your Financial Aid Advisor with a short explanation why you are requesting the appeal. Your advisor will walk you through the process and request the appeal through your MyVerify account.  You will need to complete and upload the appropriate documents to your account for your appeal to be considered. 

  • Log into your MyVerify account

  • Use your Cabrillo Student ID number and WebAdvisor password to log in

  • Confirm your student information and opt in to text alerts if desired

What happens after all required documentation is submitted?

Students will be notified when a decision is made. This notification may be in the form of an award letter, email, and/or corrected Student Aid Report. Each request will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Approval or deniel of the appeal will be determined by a Financial Aid Administrator and is final. Approval of this application does not guarantee that you will receive any additional financial aid.



Back to Top

    Was this page helpful?   

© 2019 Cabrillo Community College District

Campus Safety | Accessibility | Title IX

Aptos Campus, 6500 Soquel Drive Aptos CA 95003, 831.479.6100