Visual Arts Scholarship and Awards in Art Studio and Art Photography
The Visual Arts Scholarship and Awards Committee is pleased to offer scholarship opportunities to qualified and currently enrolled students in recognition of achievement in Art Studio and Art Photography course work. Scholarships and/or awards are available in all areas of instruction within the Art Studio and Art Photography Departments. The Visual Arts Scholarship and Awards Committee is responsible for the selection and assignment of these scholarships and awards.
To be eligible for a scholarship applicants must:
- Meet the Eligibility Requirements, and
- Submit an online Application and
- Online Portfolio of 5 Artworks according to the instructions and due dates. (Coming Soon)
Ineligible Artworks: from Cabrillo Extension, CabrilloArts Workshops, Digital Media and Theater Arts classes.
A Scholarship Seminar is held to assist applicants with their Application and Portfolio presentation.
Students are not required to attend the seminar in order to apply.
- Scholarships Application Information Seminar:
Friday, March 12, 2021, 12 noon.
- Email your nominating faculty to receive the seminar Zoom link.
Students may also be eligible for other scholarships. These scholarships have different committees, separate forms, instructions and due dates.
Please find more info about these scholarships and awards at:
• Cabrillo General Scholarships – Financial Aid Homepage
• Art History Scholarships – Send a message to Heather Gray
Visual Arts Scholarships and Awards
The application has three parts:
- Faculty Scholarship Nomination Statement and Signature Form
- Online Application Form
- Portfolio of 5 Artworks
Please note: the Application and Portfolio have different due dates.
At a glance -
Important Dates & Application Requirements
for the 2021 Visual Arts Scholarship:
- STEP 1Eligibility Checklist
Review requirements first, if you qualify –
Speak with your instructor who will mentor and nominate you for scholarships. (Be sure to speak to your instructor ASAP!)
Faculty Scholarship Nomination Statement and Signature Form must be completed by your instructor by
Friday, March 19, 2021, 5 pm.
Continue to STEP 2.
- Step 2Application Form
Complete & Submit Online Application Form by
Friday, April 2, 2021, 11:59 pm.
No Late or Incomplete Applications will be Accepted
- Step 3Portfolio of 5 Artworks
Complete & Upload Portfolio Online
Sunday, April 11, 2021, 11:59 pm.
STEP 1: Visual Arts Scholarship Eligibility Requirements Checklist
- Student is currently enrolled at Cabrillo College as a Continuing or Transfer Student.
- Student has taken, or is currently taking a minimum of one 3‑unit course in Art Studio or Art Photography in the VAPA Division during this 2020-2021 academic year, and fall 2019 and spring 2020 semesters. Note: Cabrillo Extension classes do not qualify for this requirement.
- Student has taken, or is currently taking a minimum of 9 units of course work at Cabrillo College this 2020-2021 academic year, fall 2019 and 2020 spring. The 9 units of course work can include the above 3‑unit course. Some scholarships and awards require a 9 unit enrollment for the academic year and or continued college enrollment. There are exceptions to these requirements. Please see the exceptions note.*
- Artwork submitted was created by the student for class assignments in an Art Studio and or Art Photography course at Cabrillo College within the last two years.
- Student has not received Visual Arts Scholarships and/or Awards in two previous years.
- Faculty Scholarship Nomination Statement and Signature Form, Due Date March 19, 2021, 5pm
- Submission of a completed Application Form, Due Date April 2, 2021, 11:59pm
- Submission of a Portfolio of Five Artworks, Due Date April 11, 2021, 11:59 pm
* Exceptions to 9 Unit Requirements
Not all scholarships and awards have a 9 unit requirement: There are awards in Art Photography, 3-D (Ceramics, Sculpture, 3-D Design), and Small Scale Metals/Jewelry that do not have the 9 units per academic year requirement. Applicants must still meet all other requirements listed above.
Scholarship and Award Funds:
Financial Aid and Scholarship Office
The Financial Aid and Scholarship Office, will disburse funds to students and all questions should be addressed to that office.
* Please make sure that your Student Account is updated with your current address in order to receive this important notification.
- March 12
SCHOLARSHIP SEMINAR: 12:00 - 1:00 PM Online
Email your nominating faculty to receive the seminar Zoom link.
- April 2
ONLINE APPLICATION DUE DATE: No exceptions.
- March 22 - 27
- April 11
ONLINE PORTFOLIO DUE DATE: No exceptions.
- May 10
ANNOUNCEMENT OF SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENTS:
Committee reviews applications & portfolios, and selects scholarships awards recipients.
- May - August
THANK YOU NOTE OF APPRECIATION: If you received notice from the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office that you are a scholarship recipient, please write a Thank You Letter as directed. (Review the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office information for details.)