What can you do for me at Student Health Services (SHS)?
Our no-cost and low-cost services include:
  • Treatment for minor injuries and illnesses, and monitoring of some chronic conditions such as high blood pressure
  • Personal counseling on a short-term basis
  • Wellness workshops and group sessions
  • Physical exams
  • Immunizations against tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis (TDaP); measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR); hepatitis A and B, and influenza (flu)
  • Testing for pregnancy, HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis (TB), and other conditions
  • Over-the-counter medications, such as Tylenol, Ibuprofen, and condoms, free of charge
  • Emergency birth control
  • Referrals to community agencies and help finding appropriate local resources for more serious or chronic issues
  • Prescribe (Rx)
What does it cost to be seen at SHS?

Most professional services are covered through your student health fee. Outside services such as laboratory testing and x-rays are by referral and are at additional cost. Immunizations, TB tests, and some medicines have additional fees, although we keep your cost as low as possible (for a detailed list of prices, see our Price List.

Do I need an appointment?

Although it is always best to schedule an appointment SHS offers walk-ins and crisis support.

Can my family be seen at SHS?

Because SHS is directly supported by student fees, we can only treat registered students (and offer limited services to staff and faculty, as mentioned above).

Who provides the care at SHS?

Our staff consists of family nurse practitioners (FNPs), Registered Nurses (RN), Student Medical Asst. (SMA), Student Nurses (SN), Licensed Marriage, Family Therapist (LMFT), and LMFT Associates.

Can I get health insurance through the SHS?

Cabrillo students are covered for accidental and athletic injuries that occur on campus or during sanctioned Cabrillo events. There is currently no extended health insurance plan available through the college, though we may have some suggestions for vendors who can provide insurance products at reasonable rates. Please make an appointment to speak with a health professional about your situation and needs.

What is the health fee that I pay every semester, and what do I get for it?

Each registered student is assessed a $26 fee for fall and spring semesters and an $22 fee for the summer term as part of their regular registration fees. This fee covers direct medical services received at SHS; accident coverage for campus incidents and events; access to health education materials and events; some OTC medications dispensed at SHS; and health screening programs offered at various times throughout the school year.

Do you have mental health counseling, and how much does it cost?

Yes, SHS provides mental health counseling to students that are currently registered and have paid for the student health fee. There is no additional charge when scheduling an appointment.

Do you take or offer health insurance?

SHS does not take any type of insurance except Family PACT. Family PACT is a state program that provides free family planning services to low-income men and women.

Do you host events or workshops?

Yes, we offer weekly support groups. Events, Workshops and Classroom Presentations throughout the semester.

Are there lactation rooms on campus?

SHS provides a private, safe, and clean space where a nursing mother can use a breast pump.

Click HERE for other lactation spaces located on campus.

Is there a program that can help people with disabilities?

Yes, Accessibility Support Center (ASC). The Accessibility Support Center (ASC) provides services, accommodations, and academic support for students with disabilities and learning differences at Cabrillo College.

What do I do if I need care when SHS is closed?

SHS is open Monday-Thursday from 8 am to 5 pm, and Fridays from 8-12 pm. (Nurse Practitioners are not available on Friday). We are closed during most school recesses and holidays.

  • For medical emergencies call 911.

  • Dominican Hospital Emergency Department located at 1555 Soquel Dr. Santa Cruz, Ca 95065

  • Santa Cruz Behavioral Health Division call (831) 454-4170

  • 211 connects you to expert, caring help. Every call is completely confidential.

  • We encourage all students to identify a primary care provider or clinic for ongoing preventive care and care of chronic illness or conditions.