International Student Services
Studying at Cabrillo College
Cabrillo College is located on the scenic central coast of California in Santa Cruz County (see map). Founded in 1959, Cabrillo College is a fully accredited community college and offers international students the opportunity to:
- complete courses for the first two-years of a four-year bachelor's degree
- obtain Associate of Arts and/or Associate of Science degrees
- obtain certificates of proficiency
- improve your English skills
Cabrillo College transfers many of its students to three nearby universities – the University of California at Santa Cruz, San Jose State University in the heart of Silicon Valley, and California State University at Monterey Bay. The college offers hundreds of courses leading to four-year degrees in many majors. The majority of all courses in the Cabrillo curriculum transfer to the University of California or the California State University systems. We offer Transfer Admission Guarantees with most University of California campuses, several California State University campuses, and several private universities. Details can be found on the Transfer Center website.
The campus facilities include a large technologically advanced library/learning resources center, science laboratories and classrooms, a computer technology center, a vibrant theater and performance center, multimedia classrooms, a photography lab, a reading and writing center and athletics facilities.
Cabrillo College is located in Aptos; a small beach community situated near the center of Santa Cruz County. From Santa Cruz, it is only 60 km to San Jose, Monterey or Carmel and approximately 120 km to San Francisco. In addition, we are only four hours away from majestic Yosemite and beautiful Lake Tahoe.
Santa Cruz is part of the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary and offers fantastic opportunities for surfing, scuba diving, sea kayaking, and sailing. The Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk is the only major seaside amusement park on the entire West Coast.
Santa Cruz County boasts a rich cultural life and numerous recreational opportunities. Residents enjoy a Mediterranean climate amid redwood forests, sparkling beaches and rich farmland. Local cultural highlights include numerous performing arts events, and museums and galleries throughout the area which showcase the work of artists in every medium. A number of annual events celebrate the area's ethnic and cultural diversity.
The world's most innovative tech companies, such as Google, Apple, Yahoo!, HP, Adobe and Cisco Systems, are a short drive away in Silicon Valley.Why Do International Students Choose Cabrillo College?
- Affordable tuition and fees - enrollment fees are approximately one third of cost of the University of California and California State University systems. Tuition is approximately $8000 per year for 12 units of study per semester. More Details
- Transfer to a four year university - Cabrillo College highly ranked in transferring to the University of California system. We are the top college transferring students to UC Santa Cruz. Students transfer to many other universities as well. Guaranteed transfer opportunities for qualified students.
- Simple admissions process and 480/54 TOEFL score - Cabrillo College requires a lower TOEFL score than many other colleges and universities because we are able to provide ESL instruction to our students who may need additional English training. Cabrillo requires a score of 480 on the pBT TOEFL, 157 on the cBT, or 54 on the iBT TOEFL. We also accept an IELTS score of 5.5 or higher. If you do not have the required English skills, we encourage you to participate in an Intensive English Program in our area. Programs are available through ELS and MIIS. Please contact them for more information.
- Many opportunities to meet Americans- Cabrillo's international student population is smaller than at many other colleges and is extremely diverse. We do not have more than 10 students from any one particular country. Unlike at other colleges in California, you will have many opportunities to meet and get to know American students.
- Intercollegiate athletics program – students have the opportunity to participate in traditional American college sports, such as football, basketball, and soccer.
- Fabulous location - Cabrillo overlooks the beautiful Monterey Bay and is only 30 minutes away from Silicon Valley.
- Variety of majors - Cabrillo College offers a wide variety of majors and programs for students to choose from.
- Free tutoring - the Cabrillo College writing and tutorial center provides free peer tutoring in most subject areas.
- Job training in dozens of fields - choose from computer related fields, digital publishing and multimedia, engineering technology, medical related fields, CISCO Systems Certifications, accounting, or horticulture. Many certificates can be earned in one or two years.
- International student advisor and counseling - international students can meet with full-time staff trained in the area of student related immigration, foreign transcript evaluation and transfer issues specific to international students.
- Dozens of Student Clubs and Activities - From student government to student clubs, and musical performances to archaeology, art exhibits and live theater, Cabrillo College offers dozens of ways for students to get involved.