Sexual Assault Awareness and Resources

If you have been sexually assaulted, you are doing the right thing by seeking help. Reading this is a good beginning. There are many supportive people who can help you--both on campus and off.

It is important for you to have a medical exam, even if you think that you don't have physical injuries. Cabrillo students, staff, and faculty who have been sexually assaulted are encouraged to go to the emergency department at either Dominican Hospital or Watsonville Community Hospital. Both hospitals can provide 24-hour medical care and forensic evidence collection that is free of charge for survivors of sexual assault.

It is also important for you talk to someone who is supportive and has been trained to help you. A personal counselor or nurse at Cabrillo's Student Health Services is a good place to start. In addition, Defensa de Mujeres/Women's Crisis Support have counselors who are available to provide confidential counseling, advocacy, and referrals. If you do not live in the Santa Cruz County area, you can find assistance through a national victim assistance agency called RAINN. You can go to the RAINN website or call them at 1-800-656-HOPE.

Confidential help is available for students, faculty, and staff members of the Cabrillo College community. Call Student Health Services at (831) 479-6435 or email for an appointment.

Learn More ▼