What is UCLA TAP?
The Cabrillo Honors Transfer Program is a proud member of the UCLA Transfer Alliance Program (UCLA TAP) - since 2010. Cabrillo Honors students are eligible to be TAP Certified upon application to UCLA for most majors within the College of Letters and Sciences. TAP certification gives students priority admission into the College of Letters and Sciences majors at UCLA. Cabrillo's Honors students enjoy an 72-91% admit rate into UCLA College of Letters and Sciences (varies year by year)
Requirements for UCLA TAP Certification
Applying to a major within the College of Letters and Sciences at UCLA
Plan to complete at least 15 units of honors courses, including a minimum of 9 units of LIST A course work and no more than 6 units of LIST B course work by the end of Spring semester before transfer. A maximum of three (2) Honors courses can be taken in the last semester (Spring) before transfer.
GPA of 3.4 at the time of certification (February of the transfer year)
Completion of all major preparation courses - and IGETC general ed. completion is recommended
Must be confirmed by Cabrillo's Honors Transfer Program Director as a member in good standing and must successfully complete our Honors program requirements (above) prior to transfer.
When possible, identify an Alternate Major that is not a selective major in your UC application. All major preparation requirements for the Alternate major must also be completed by end of Spring to be eligible for review.
UCLA TAP is not available for Film and Television, Nursing, School of Art and Architecture, or the Herb Alpert School of Music. Engineering students could be TAP certified for an Alternate major in, "Chemistry."
Certification How to:
- Students should indicate on their UC application (submitted in the Fall prior to transfer), if they expect to meet the requirements for UCLA TAP Certification by the end of the Spring prior to transfer.
- In January, UCLA will send a list of applicants to the Honors Director at Cabrillo who will verify eligibility and contact you to sign the Certification Form by the end of February (electronic certification process for Spring, 2021).
- NOTE: the requirements for UCLA TAP Certification are the same as for Cabrillo's Honors Transfer Program Honors Scholar Designation: at least 15 units of Honors coursework with a 3.4 (UC) transferable GPA.
Major Preparation is Key!
You must complete ALL the major preparation courses for your first choice AND alternate majors.
as of Spring, 2021: All major preparation courses for SELECTIVE majors must be completed by the end of Fall, prior to transfer. Honors courses and general education courses may be pending in Spring. IGETC completion is not required for admission, and may be completed in summer prior to Transfer
- Business Economics - all major preparation courses should be completed by the end of Fall prior to transfer
- Psychology - 4 of the 5 required major preparation courses should be completed by the end of Fall prior to transfer
- for Admission: transfer-level Math and ENGL 1A should be completed by the end of Fall prior to transfer
The Alternate Major
Students who will be TAP Certified have the benefit of choosing an Alternate Major on their UC Application for the College of Letters and Sciences, and will be evaluated for their Alternate choice if there is no space available in their 1st-choice major. ONLY TAP Certified students have this additional evaluation benefit.
All major preparation courses for the Alternate Major must be completed by the end of Spring before transfer. Most students who are not admitted into their first choice major are admitted into the Alternate major. You must choose the Alternate Major on your UC application at the time you submit your application.
The alternate major CANNOT be one of the highly-selective majors listed below:
Education and Social Transformation
Human Biology and Society (B.A. and B.S.)
International Development Studies
Mathematics, Financial Actuarial
updated 8/20/2023 lsc