Frequently Asked Questions

Entering college can be overwhelming and confusing. The Accessibility Support Center (ASC), formally Disabled Students Programs and Services (DSPS) is committed to making the student's Cabrillo experience a positive and successful one. The questions and answers below often come from students new to ASC.

8:00 am-5:00 pm
Friday (in-person)
9:00 am- 2:00 pm
Friday (working remotely)
8:00 am- 5:00 pm
(831) 479-6379
(831) 479-6370
Virtual Fax
(831) 477-3738
The second floor of the library behind HUB
Learn More ▼

Often, but not always. College services are not automatic. Each college, following relevant federal, state and local law, determines a student's eligibility for accommodations, including which auxiliary aids are appropriate. For detailed information about auxiliary aids and services, we recommend the U.S. Department of Education publication, Auxiliary Aids and Services for Postsecondary Students with Disabilities.

Rather than creating an individual plan for each student, the goal in college is to provide accommodations and equal access to all students. Colleges are required to follow Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, and other relevant laws. ADA requires that an "otherwise qualified individual with a disability" not be discriminated against in a public setting on the basis of their disability.

For more information: please read the U.S. Department of Education publication, Students with Disabilities Preparing for Postsecondary Education: Know Your Rights and Responsibilities.

It is the students responsibility. While the college provides many types of information about college services and accommodations for students with disabilities, ultimately it is the student's responsibility to see out services.

We accept previous documentation. However, in college, the student, alone, is responsible for providing the documentation to the ASC.

The college will not initiate contact with parents. When students enroll in college they are considered to be, and are treated as, responsible adults by both faculty and staff. Parents who call for information about their child's status will be encouraged to speak directly with the students.

In college, students formally advocate for themselves, as they are adults. ASC staff will meet with students to hear their concerns and help them identify what actions they, the students, may decide to take.

An accommodation cannot alter the fundamental nature of, or requirements for any course or program.

Not generally. The college is not responsible for providing classroom or one-on-one aides to any student enrolled at the college. Prior to attending classes, it is important for students with personal attendants to meet with the counselors in the ASC. Counselors will explain the aide's role and responsibilities.

Although we cannot guarantee that you will receive services at another college, we will be happy to send your information to another college per your signed consent of release.