Services, Policies, and Procedures

The Accessibility Support Center (ASC) offers many services to assist students with disabilities in achieving academic and personal success at Cabrillo College. This edition of "Policies and Procedures" was written so students with disabilities will know how to get and keep services to support them in meeting their personal and educational goals.

Student Rights and Responsibilities

Students have a right to equal access under Section 504 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (title 2). It is recommended that students work with the ASC Team and the Director to receive the appropriate accommodations.

Student Grievances/Complaints: If a student has a concern regarding services or accommodations and feel their needs are not being met, the student may file a grievance or complaint. The first step for students is to speak to an ASC faculty member to attempt to resolve their grievance. If that outcome is unsatisfactory, students should then contact the ASC Director. If the complaint remains, students may use the Just Report It! system to file a grievance or contact Cabrillo’s ADA Coordinator.

All students, regardless of disability status, are responsible for following the prescribed college procedures as outlined in the Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook.

  • Students seeking services through the Accessibility Support Center must complete an ASC application online and meet with an ASC Counselor or Learning Disabilities Specialist to complete the intake process. More information is available on our Getting Started webpage.

  • Verification of disability is required in order to obtain services. This often comes in the form of a note from a doctor or therapist or a copy of an IEP or 504 plan from high school. If a student doesn’t have any disability documentation, the ASC may be able to help you obtain it by conducting a learning disability assessment with one of our Learning Disabilities Specialists, or referring you to on or off campus resources (e.g., Student Health Services or a local doctor, therapist, or psychologist). Students will be able to upload their records in the MyASC Portal after they have completed the ASC application.

  • In some cases, provisional services may be provided on a temporary basis after the student participates in an interactive interview with a Learning Disabilities Specialist or an ASC Counselor.

  • Students need to request accommodations notifications every time they start a new class. Continuing students can request their accommodations through our MyASC portal or by meeting with either a Learning Disabilities Specialist or an ASC Counselor. Meeting with ASC faculty each semester is encouraged.

  • Details about specific accommodations (i.e., guidelines, parameters, etc.) can be found in students’ eligibility and accommodation letters which are accessible through the MyASC Portal. Students may also request this information from the ASC office.

  • Students are responsible to notify the ASC Office if they are unable to meet scheduled service times (transportation, learning disabilities testing, interpreting, counseling appointments, test-taking appointments, etc.).

  • As appropriate to ensure services and accommodations, disability related information may be shared by ASC employees with college personnel and other appropriate Cabrillo College professionals on a FERPA-allowed need to know basis.

  • Students are expected to meet all college-wide policies as outlined in the Cabrillo College Catalog.

Alternate media materials (electronic text, audiobooks, braille, text enlargement, etc.) are provided to students with a verified disability.

Contact the Alternate Media Specialist or the ASC office to find out more or make an appointment.

After securing an accommodation from an ASC Counselor or Learning Disabilities Specialist, students will recruit their own note takers from their classes or ask their instructors for assistance in obtaining note taking assistance. Note-takers will be paid a flat rate determined by the ASC Office. NCR paper will be provided by the ASC for all note-takers. Students utilizing note-taking services must attend class.

  • Complete the enrollment with the ASC Office.

  • Discuss note-taking assistance; receive accommodation, if appropriate, from an ASC Counselor or Learning Disabilities Specialist.

  • Students can either make an announcement themselves in class, or the instructor can make an announcement to the class.

  • Students can also ask a friend for assistance.

Equipment will only be loaned to students who have ASC approval, who have an accommodation, and who are officially enrolled in classes. Students will forfeit their rights to future equipment loans if the equipment is abused or equipment is not returned at the appropriate time.

The ASC Office can loan tape recorders, Smart Pens, note-taking software, assistive listening devices, and some calculators.

  • Complete the enrollment with the ASC Office.

  • Discuss the use of specialized equipment; receive accommodation, if appropriate, from an ASC Counselor or Learning Disabilities Specialist.

  • Contact the ASC Office to check out equipment and to complete the "Equipment Loan Contract."

  • If the equipment is not returned, students will forfeit rights to future equipment loans, have grades delayed, and be unable to register for future semesters.

For tutoring services, please visit the Tutoring Center homepage for more information.

Test taking accommodations are individually considered and might include extended time, alternate test locations, computer access, assistive technology, and quiet or reduced-distraction area.

  • Complete the enrollment process with the ASC Office.

  • Discuss test proctoring accommodations; receive accommodation, if appropriate, from an ASC Counselor or Learning Disabilities Specialist.

  • Students must ensure that their instructor has the "Accommodation Faculty Notification" letter prior to requesting test accommodations.

  • Students can schedule tests with the proctoring center by login in to MyASC for students.

  • Students must be on time for scheduled tests.

  • New "Accommodation Faculty Notification" letter is required each semester.

  • Testing accommodations and scheduled exams for finals must be in place two weeks before finals week starts.

Other services may be provided by the ASC Office when determined appropriate by an ASC Counselor or Learning Disabilities Specialist.