Honors Students and STEM majors
Our program has many STEM majors! in fact, each year ~40% of our incoming students are STEM majors!
In the past few years, our Honors Transfer Program graduates included students transferring in/to:
- Engineering - all specializations (SJSU, Cal Poly SLO, UC Berkeley, UC San Diego)
- Physics (UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCSC, UC San Diego, UC Davis)
- Chemistry (UC San Diego, Scripps, UC Berkeley, UCLA)
- Biology (UC Davis, UCLA, UC Berkeley, UC San Diego, Santa Clara University, Williamette)
- Mathematics (UC San Diego, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UC Davis)
- Animal Science (Cal Poly SLO)
- Computer Science (UCSC, SJSU)
- Architecture (UC San Diego, UC Berkeley, Cal Poly SLO)
- Environmental Science/Studies (UCSC, Humboldt)
(to name a few)
Planning your honors courses as a STEM major:
It can be a challenge to incorporate honors versions of courses into your education plan as a STEM major because of lab time-offerings and just the sheer number of pre-requisite courses required in STEM.
See a STEM Counselor early in your Cabrillo career
Plan at least one honors version of a course into your education plan for the first two semesters - it may get more difficult to include an honors course as you get closer to graduation.
Know what honors courses are offered using Supplemental Agreements to give yourself flexibility in your schedule
Remember that a maximum of 6 units of Designated Honors Courses may be used toward the 15-units required for Completion of the Honors Program, Honors Scholar Status and UCLA TAP Certification, which means:
If you want to achieve Honors Scholar - you need three courses - 9 units of courses - that have an "H" - see Courses available for Honors Credit
You may earn honors credit for the following STEM courses through writing a Designated Honors Course Contract with your instructor:
CHEM 12A or CHEM 12AL
CHEM 12B or CHEM 12BL