Remind employees of the steps they should take now both at work and at home that will best prepare them for future emergencies.
- Review list of emergency numbers. Ensure that it is current and easily accessible.
- Revisit procedures for shutting off gas, water, and electricity.
- Update information on emergency notification cards.
- Check on location of first aid kits. Replenish as necessary.
- Establish emergency supply package. Should include: drinking water, canned food (for up to two days), manual can opener, matches, utility knife, camp stove, flashlights, battery operated radio, extra batteries, blankets, change of clothing, backup prescription medication, zip locking bags, a small amount of cash and personal hygiene items.
- Make copies of critical paperwork and store off-site (e.g., in safety deposit box).
- Check that insurance coverage is current and adequate.
FIRE SPECIFIC PREPARATIONS:
- Check that smoke detectors are working.
- Ensure that fire extinguishers have been inspected and, if necessary, serviced during the last Year.
- Review escape routes and reestablish a meeting place.
- Check that fire exit signs are properly posted and working.
- Make sure windows have not been nailed or painted shut.
- Store flammable and combustible liquids in approved containers and store in garage.
- Conduct fire drill at home.
EARTHQUAKE SPECIFIC PREPARATIONS:
- Ensure water heaters and gas appliances are securely fastened.
- Anchor overhead lighting fixtures.
- Make sure heavy objects and breakables are stored on low shelves
- or in closed cabinets.
- Get to know both safe and dangerous spots in each room.
- Conduct mock earthquake drill at home.
FLOOD SPECIFIC PREPARATIONS:
- Become aware of flooding patterns in your area.
- Review evacuation procedures.
- Establish small supply of sandbags, plywood and plastic sheeting.
- If you are prewarned, fill your car with fuel, and your bathtub with water.
- Envision those items that will need to be moved to higher ground if necessary.
What To Do In Case Of...
Director, FP & PO
Asst. Director, FP & PO
Learn More ▼