When shooting begins or when you are advised that a shooting on campus has taken place, you should do the following:
- Do not come to campus if you aren't already there.
- Initiate Code RED Lockdown:If you hear the sound of gunshots or you are instructed to do so, initiate Code RED lockdown procedures:Lock doors, close curtains, silence phones, spread out and get low, away from windows or fields of fire. Refer to communication plan for notification procedures.
- Do NOT evacuate rooms or buildings unless told to do so by the Building Manager, police officers, or unless is it absolutely clear that it is safe to do so.
- Call 911. Give the following information:
- Indicate that there has been a shooting or that someone has been shot.
- The exact location of the suspect(s) including building, type of building, number of exits, room/office number, front or side window, roof, office, classroom, etc.
- Whether any shots were fired by the suspect(s), if the suspect(s) is still shooting, and the type of weapon (rifle, shotgun, handgun, etc.) or explosive device(s)
- Description of suspects(s), their clothing, vehicle used, and direction of travel.
- Condition and number of hostages, and number of victims injured or killed.
- Any demands or information supplied by suspect(s).
- Follow the instructions of 911 personnel, police officers, or other rescue personnel.
What To Do In Case Of...
Director, FP & PO
Asst. Director, FP & PO
Learn More ▼