Water Leak
Emergency Preparedness

What To Do In Case Of Power Outage and Other Utility Failures

Power Outage Procedures:

Immediate Actions:

  • If power outage occurs contact PG&E for status report 1-800-PGE-5002 (1-800-743-5002), check with your supervisor and the Building Manager. It is the college policy that faculty and staff are to remain on campus for two (2) hours or until normal time of departure and utilize that time to ensure the safety of students, faculty and staff members. If lighting does not resume within 2 hours, check with your supervisor before leaving your post.
  • If additional information is needed, contact Facilities Planning and Plant Operations (Maintenance & Operations), ext. 6465, Monday-Friday 7:30 am to 4:00 pm. If there is potential danger, call 9-1-1. If failure occurs after 4:00 pm Monday-Friday or on a weekend, check with your supervisor and the Building Manager.


  • Cisco phones will retain power for 30-60 minutes.
  • Some staff may not be released from reporting to duty during an emergency. Check with your supervisor.
  • Employees should have working flashlights at their workstation handy.

If classes need to be cancelled, the campus closed and/or special events cancelled, the Executive Assistant to the President or the Evening Administrator will

  • contact the Incident Commander (IC) for authorization to cancel classes/close the campus and
  • contact the appropriate Dean to cancel special events.

Gas Leak:

Stop all operations. Never use any electrical switches with a gas leak. Electrical arcing can trigger an explosion. Do not use phone switch on/off lights or any electrical equipment. Exit the area of the gas smell to call authorities. Call Campus Police x6314 and Maintenance x6465 from another building or open space away from the gas smell.

Plumbing Failure/Flooding:

Stop using all electrical equipment immediately. Vacate the area if necessary. Notify Maintenance x6465 and campus police x6314.

Ventilation Problem:

If smoke odors come from the ventilation system, notify Campus Police or Maintenance. If necessary, evacuate the area. If visible smoke comes through, call 911 (refer to section on FIRE or EXPLOSION).

Water Line Failure:

Immediately notify Campus Police and Maintenance. If necessary, evacuate the area.