The music curriculum provides a program for the student who wishes to pursue an advanced degree in music, become a professional musician, prepare for a career in public school teaching, broaden a general knowledge of music, or develop performance skills. Students will be given the theory, keyboard, and sight-reading skills necessary to transfer to a four-year college music curriculum, where they will be expected to pass proficiency exams in each of these areas. Participation in at least one principal performance group is highly recommended for each semester.
Music and Theatre Arts Lab (VAPA 5131)
· The Lab opens on Monday August 29 at 10am and closes on Wednesday December 14 at 6:30pm.
· Open from 10am-6:30pm on M-T-W-TH
· Not open on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays
COVID-19 Protocols and coming to the Music and Theatre Arts Lab (VAPA 5131) on Campus:
The Music and Theatre Arts Lab on the Aptos campus in VAPA 5131 is open to students for access to the practice rooms, computers, instruments, and in-person tutoring with the Lab Instructors.
Proof of vaccination and masks are required of all students using the Music and Theatre Arts Lab. Students must have their vaccination information (or approved accommodation from Student Health Services) uploaded into Cabrillo's secure health portal. Information for uploading your proof of vaccination, can be found by visiting the Student Health Services page.
Before coming to the Lab, you should review all documents on the Cabrillo College COVID-19 Information page and must conduct an illness/health self-assessment each day you visit campus which includes the questions below. NOTE: If you answer YES to any of these, you should not come to campus.
· Are you currently experiencing a fever?
· Is your temperature 100 degrees Fahrenheit or higher?
· Do you have a headache, chills, body aches, or fatigue?
· Are you experiencing any respiratory symptoms such as cough, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, sore throat, congestion, or runny nose?
· Have you lost your sense of smell or taste?
· Do you have nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea?
Masks are Mandatory:
· The KN94/N95/KN95's are highly recommended. Double masking, including a surgical mask, is required if not properly using an KN94/N95/KN95. The surgical masks, available from the college at key ingress points, will be worn under a regular cloth mask.
· The following are NOT APPROVED face coverings: a scarf, ski mask, balaclava, gator, bandana, turtleneck, collar, or single layer of fabric.
*Special masks provided to singers include upgraded filter materials approximating N95-level protection and are therefore sufficient without double masking.
All students using the Lab, Practice Rooms, Recording Studios, Instruments are required to sign in on SARS (the computer on the center lateral file cabinet)
· Students sign in with their student ID
· Students select the class they want to record Lab activity
· Students log out in SARS when they are done
· Photo ID is required - no ID, no access, no exceptions. For security reasons we CANNOT ACCEPT: Passports, or Credit Cards with photo ID
· Maximum occupancy is 1 person in all practice rooms and Recordings Studios A, C, and D
· Masks are required to be worn at all times by all students (including singers), except wind players when they are playing their instrument
Recording Studios, Percussion Room and Instrument Locker:
· Only authorized students on the approved list given to the Lab by the Instructors are allowed access these rooms and instruments
· student must sign into SARS
· student must sign in on appropriate sign-in sheet
· Lockers are available only for students registered in music classes
· Combination locks are REQUIRED (available in the Bookstore) - Key Locks will be removed
· Students remove and fill out the Locker Information Form from the locker they wish to use and bring it to the Lab
· Student records their name in the Locker Binder in the space provided by the locker number along with the combination
· Students provide ID to the Lab Instructor member in exchange for the key to remove the brass padlock
· Return the key & padlock and retrieve ID
· Locks and contents must be removed by 3pm on the December 16 at 3pm
· Locks not removed by the end of the semester are cut and contents discarded