The music curriculum provides a program for the student who wishes to pursue an advanced degree in music, become a professional musician, prepare for a career in public school teaching, broaden a general knowledge of music, or develop performance skills. Students will be given the theory, keyboard, and sight-reading skills necessary to transfer to a four-year college music curriculum, where they will be expected to pass proficiency exams in each of these areas. Participation in at least one principal performance group is highly recommended for each semester.
Music and Theatre Arts Lab (VAPA 5131)
LAB Hours: Music/Theatre Arts Lab
Hours of Operation Fall 2023
Monday 10:00am – 6:30pm
Tuesday 10:00am – 6:30pm
Wednesday 10:00am – 6:30pm
Thursday 10:00am – 6:30pm
(hours subject to change without notice)
The Lab closes, Wednesday, December 13, 6:30pm
COVID-19 Protocols and coming to the Music and Theatre Arts Lab (VAPA 5131) on Campus:
The Music and Theatre Arts Lab on the Aptos campus in VAPA 5131 is open to students for access to the practice rooms, computers, instruments, and in-person tutoring with the Lab Instructors.
Before coming to the Lab, you should review all documents on the Cabrillo College COVID-19 Information page and must conduct an illness/health self-assessment each day you visit campus which includes the questions below. NOTE: If you answer YES to any of these, you should not come to campus.
· Are you currently experiencing a fever?
· Is your temperature 100 degrees Fahrenheit or higher?
· Do you have a headache, chills, body aches, or fatigue?
· Are you experiencing any respiratory symptoms such as cough, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, sore throat, congestion, or runny nose?
· Have you lost your sense of smell or taste?
· Do you have nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea?
Masks are Encouraged:
All students using the Lab, Practice Rooms, Recording Studios, Instruments are required to sign in on SARS (the computer on the center lateral file cabinet)
· Students sign in with their student ID
· Students select the class they want to record Lab activity
· Students log out in SARS when they are done
· Photo ID is required - no ID, no access, no exceptions. For security reasons we CANNOT ACCEPT: Passports, or Credit Cards with photo ID
· Maximum occupancy is 1 person in all practice rooms and Recordings Studios A, C, and D
· Masks are required to be worn at all times by all students (including singers), except wind players when they are playing their instrument
Recording Studios, Percussion Room and Instrument Locker:
· Only authorized students on the approved list given to the Lab by the Instructors are allowed access these rooms and instruments
· student must sign into SARS
· student must sign in on appropriate sign-in sheet
· Lockers are available only for students registered in music classes
· Combination locks are REQUIRED (available in the Bookstore) - Key Locks will be removed
· Students remove and fill out the Locker Information Form from the locker they wish to use and bring it to the Lab
· Student records their name in the Locker Binder in the space provided by the locker number along with the combination
· Students provide ID to the Lab Instructor member in exchange for the key to remove the brass padlock
· Return the key & padlock and retrieve ID
· Locks and contents must be removed by 3pm on December 13th at 3pm
· Locks not removed by the end of the semester are cut and contents discarded