Cabrillo Financial Aid & Scholarships

Frequently Asked Questions


The 2023-2024 FAFSA and CADAA applications covers Fall 2023, Spring 2024, and Summer 2024.

If you are enrolled or plan to enroll in any of the following terms: Fall 2024, Spring 2025, or Summer 2025, you will need to complete the 2024-20245 FAFSA or CADAA.

The deadline for the 2023-2024 FAFSA and CADAA applications is June 30th 2024.

Cabrillo's College school code is: 001124

Your status depends on whether you meet the federal criteria for being an independent student. This has less to do with your individual financial circumstances and more to do with the federal guidelines. For a detailed list of the criteria, please click here.

Your dependency status determines whether your parent's financial information needs to be included in your application and whether their finances will be considered when determining your financial aid eligibility.

If you need help completing your FAFSA or CADAA application you can visit our workshops calendar located on our home page for dates and times or you can also contact us at or (831) 479-6548 and we would be happy to assist you.

The Financial Aid Office will notify you by email if there are additional documents need, in the email you will be provided with a link to log into your MyVerify account. You will log in using your Cabrillo student ID and your MyCabrillo - self-service password.

Yes, the California Dream Act (CADAA) allows undocumented and nonresident documented students who meet certain provisions to apply for and receive private scholarships funded through public universities, state administered financial aid, university grants, community college fee waivers, and cal grants.

Undocumented students who live in California and meet the eligibility requirements of Assembly Bill (AB) 540 or AB 2000 are eligible to complete the CADAA application.


The financial aid process can take up to 4-6 weeks.

New financial aid applications are released every October 1st. The priority deadline is March 2nd and the applications closes June 30th. We recommend that students submit their applications as soon as possible in order to not delay their aid.

For the 2024-2025 FAFSA / CADAA:

The application will open January 2024. The priority deadline has been move to May 2nd for this year's application and will be close on June 30th, 2025.

Just apply! Many students are eligible for some type of aid. Leave eligibility up to the Department of Education and the Financial Aid Office to determine. The only way to determine what aid you may be eligible for is to apply by completing a FAFSA or CA Dream Act application. 

For your entire college career, there is a maximum lifetime limit for the Federal Pell Grant of 12 full-time semesters or 600% Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU) for your entire academic career. You can log on to and view your LEU.

Please note that students that have already obtain a Bachelor's degree are no longer eligible for Pell Grant.

Unfortunately, there is no way to "transfer" your aid from college to college. You can easily transfer your FAFSA by going to and adding the school code of the college you will be transferring to. Aside from the FAFSA, you will always need to complete the process for receiving aid at each college separately, submitting paperwork again (forms vary college to college) and following the new school's processing timelines.

Tip: If you submitted taxes, documentation for a dependency change, or change of income circumstances and did not keep a copy, you may want to request a copy of them before you leave and have them with you in case you need to submit them again.

Once you have submitted all of your required documents, in your MyVerify account you will see the message "You're all caught up right now." Once your file review is complete you will receive a "Final Review is done" email with further notification from our office.

Go to Financial Aid Self Service, and then select the current school year under 'Select an Award Year' .

You will now be able to select 'Review Your Financial Aid Offer Letter'. For step by step instructions please check out this Financial Aid Self Service Cheatsheet and video.

Please note: Financial aid offer letters are always base on full-time enrollment (12+ units). If the student is taking under 12 units, the award eligibility and amounts can change.

Top reasons your financial aid could be delayed:

  • Cabrillo College is not listed on your FAFSA.

  • The name on your FAFSA does not match the name on your Social Security Card, or you did not include Social Security Number when applying for admission to the college.

  • You did not sign your FAFSA or send in the signature page from FAFSA on the Web.

  • You made corrections to parental information FAFSA but the parent signature is missing.

  • You made corrections on your FAFSA but your signature is missing.

  • You received an email from our office but forgot to read it. (Read everything you get very carefully.)

  • Your documents weren't turned into our office in a timely manner.

  • Your documents were incomplete.

  • When you filed your FAFSA, you used estimated income and tax information, and when you filed your tax return, the information was different but you didn't correct your FAFSA.

  • You didn't make Satisfactory Academic Progress the prior semester.

California College Promise Grant (CCPG)

The California College Promise Grant is a community college fee waiver, this grant only covers the per unit cost of tuition for eligible California residents or AB540 eligible students. This grant is not a cash award and is automatically applied to the student's account.

In order for a student to be considered, they must submit a FAFSA, CADAA, or a paper application. This application needs to be renewed every school year that you wish to be considered. Eligibility is based on income.

For more information on CCPG, please see our page on Types of Aid.

Students that submit a paper California College Promise Grant application and do not meet the qualification, will have their application returned.

Students that submit a paper application and are eligible, their award will be entered within 7-10 business days. Students are able to check if they were awarded any aid through their Financial Aid Self Service. By log in, clicking on 'Financial Aid', select the current school year under 'Select an Award Year', and click on 'Review Your Financial Aid Award Letter'. If you have been awarded the California College Promise Grant waiver it will be listed here.

For step by step instructions, please check out this Financial Aid Self Service Cheatsheet.

Students that pay their tuition and are later determined eligible for the California College Promise Grant, will be issued a refund for the amount covered by this grant. Please note that eligibility must be established before the end of the semester that they wish to be considered, in order to receive a refund.

For further general refund questions or information about your refund status, please contact Student Accounts.

Eligibility for this grant applies to the whole academic school year. Our school year starts in the Fall and ends the following Summer. You don't need to apply each semester, but you do need to reapply every school year.

Please note: When applying through the paper application and not the FAFSA or CADAA, the application must be submitted to the financial aid office before the last day of the semester in order to be considered for the grant in that semester.

Cabrillo Promise Program (CPP)


California College Promise Grant (CCPG):

· Eligibility is based on income

· Eligibility is established every (not limited to any years)

· No unit requirement

Cabrillo Promise Program (CPP):

· For first-time college students, who do not qualify for CCPG

· Limited for two years

· Must be enrolled in 12+ units, including in the summer (exception if you are a part of Accessibility Support Center (ASC))


· Must be classified as a California resident or AB540 eligible

· Both only cover the per unit cost of tuition ($46). These do not cover any student fees, books, or materials.

Note: Students cannot receive both CCPG and CPP.

For students who meet all eligibility requirement, the Cabrillo Promise Program (CPP) will cover the tuition fee of $46 per unit. The program does not cover the mandatory school fees associated with Cabrillo College or book/material fees. To assist students with the other expenses that are not covered under the CPP, the college sponsors a large scholarship program, and students are encouraged to apply for these additional scholarships to assist with the other costs.

* If an Accessibility Support Center (ASC) student, you may qualify for a reduced course load.

Students who meet the CPP eligibility requirements will be notified via email four weeks after their FAFSA or CADAA application is received and packaged for a $1 CPP award. Awards will be adjusted after the third week of the semester.

Please Note: Funds are limited and will be first come first served.

Students who meet ALL requirements of the program will be automatically awarded after the third week of the semester. After this date, monthly reviews will be done to capture students who did not meet requirements. Until then, please do not pay your registration balance. Once we apply any eligible Cabrillo Promise Program award to your account you can pay the remaining fees at that time. You will not be dropped for nonpayment.

Please Note: Awards will be based on a students current enrollment status at the time of awarding. Funds are limited and will be awarded on a first come first serve basis.

Full-time enrollment means you are taking at least 12 units* a semester at Cabrillo College, including in the summer.

If an Accessibility Support Center (ASC) student, then you could qualify for a reduced course load.

Yes, we can accept students who attended the prior year at another CA Community College. However, these students are only eligible to receive one year of the Cabrillo Promise Program.

The Cabrillo Promise Program is designed for first-time college students attending Cabrillo College full-time. Unfortunately, when a student attends a four-year university this makes them ineligible for the Cabrillo Promise Program.

If you attended a CA Community College prior to attending Cabrillo College please see the question above.

The Cabrillo Promise Program is only available to students who are California residents or determined AB540 by Admissions & Records

after completing the AB540 exemption request.

All students are eligible for the Cabrillo Promise Program regardless of their citizenship status, including citizens, eligible non-citizens, and undocumented students are eligible. Please note, students on a student F1 visa are not eligible for the Cabrillo Promise Program.

No, however, students are required to fill out a FAFSA or CADAA application to determine eligibility.

This program's two year time period starts at the time that the student attends classes at Cabrillo and can not be paused. However, students are able to take a semester off and still be awarded when they return, if they are still with in the two year period.

Awards will be based on a student's current enrollment status at the time of awarding. If a student drops units before program eligibility is determined, the dropped units fees will not be covered. It is very important to complete your FAFSA or CADAA Financial Aid Application as soon as possible to avoid a delay in processing awards.

Yes! To be eligible for summer, a student must enroll in 12 units. This is a state requirement and not an institutional policy.

Please note: Students are not required to take summer courses to maintain Cabrillo Promise Program eligibility.

Yes! In this case, students would receive one year of the Cabrillo Promise Program.

Dream Act

1. If your are a U.S. Citizen, a Permanent Resident or other Eligible Non-Citizen

*Eligible non-citizen examples include a U.S. permanent resident who has a green card (Permanent Resident Card), a conditional permanent resident with a conditional Green Card, or a "refugee".

***Complete the FAFSA***

2. If you are an Undocumented Immigrant and AB540 Eligible

*** Complete the CADAA***

For more information, click here.

Visit our how to apply page for information on how the process works and what kind of aid you may be eligible for.

CADAA is for undocumented students that meet AB540 requirements and can demonstrate financial need.

No, students do not need a social security number to fill out the application.

Academic Requirements, Dropping Classes, SAP Status

Per Federal regulation, students must maintain "Minimum Standard Requirement", this includes an accumulative PACE (Total attempted unit in Cabrillo vs. Total completed units at Cabrillo) of 67%, an accumulative GPA of 2.0, and cannot exceed 150% of their total program units to complete an A.A., A.S., Vocational Certificate or Transfer program.; in order to be eligible for financial aid.

For more information, visit our Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) page.

Students who have not met "Minimum Standard Requirements" will be placed on Financial Aid Warning.

Note: You are still eligible to receive financial aid while on Financial Aid Warning.

Students who do not meet "Minimum Standard Requirements" at the end of their Financial Aid Warning semester will be Disqualified for the next term.

For more information, visit our Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) page.

Students who have not met "Minimum Standard Requirements" are placed on Financial Aid Warning.

There is a GPA requirement and a PACE requirement, requiring students to complete 67% of their attempted units during their entire time at Cabrillo. Often, students have a high GPA but do not meet the PACE requirement. This can happen when student receive a "W" for the course; "W" graded courses still count as units attempted even though they don't affect GPA.

You can check your GPA and PACE in your Financial Aid Self Service. For step by step directions, click here.

*If any of that information seems incorrect, contact your instructor and Admissions and Records. Notify us once the grade is corrected.

If your cumulative PACE falls below 67%, you must successfully complete ALL units attempted each term. If your cumulative pace is over 67% you must continue to successfully complete 67% of all units attempted each term.

Note: You are still eligible to receive financial aid while on Financial Aid Warning. We advise taking a manageable course load to avoid disqualification.

Yes. All students who apply for Financial Aid will have their academics reviewed at the end of each semester to verify that they are meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). Maintaining this academic progress means that students complete the classes they attempt with a passing grade, for financial aid purposes a passing grades that contribute to your GPA includes; A, B, C, and D.

For more information, visit our Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) page.

  • You can still receive the California College Promise Grant enrollment fee waiver, if you are academic standing is at least 50% PACE and 2.0 GPA

  • You may be reinstated for the following term IF you meet the Reinstatement requirements

  • If you were Disqualified because of extenuating circumstances beyond your control (federal regulations specify these as one time events such as ‘student illness or injury, or death of a relative') AND your situation has changed to allow you to demonstrate satisfactory academic progress, you may submit a Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Appeal form. Keep in mind students are only allowed one appeal on file. Official supporting documentation explaining the extenuating circumstances is required or your appeal will not be considered. Appeals are completed through MyVerify.

Fall 2023: November 16, 2023

Spring 2024: April 25, 2024

Summer 2024: August 8, 2024

If you are on a Probation due to your Maxtime appeal and do not meet Minimum Standard Requirements and/or you have reached the end of your comprehensive educational plan time period, your status will go back to disqualified.

For more information, visit our Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) page.

Dropping a class can result in SAP problems and/or Overpayment issues. Depending on your current SAP status you may be placed on Financial Aid Warning, Disqualification, or become Ineligible.

See our Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) page for complete information on SAP policy and statuses.

Depending on when you drop, you may also owe money. Please see our Enrollment Changes page.

Awards and Disbursements

If financial aid is awarded, it is first used to cover any pending balance that you have with the college. If there is a remaining amount it will be issued through BankMobile Disbursements. If this is your first time receiving a disbursement through them, BankMobile will send you an access code via mail or email to allow you to create an account and select a refund preference. (it is important to have the most current email address in your account)

Steps on how to update your student information, click here.

To access BankMobile's Website, click here.

Your Financial Aid offer letter is based on full-time enrollment. If you are enrolled in less than full-time, the amount you receive will be based on the number of units you are enrolled in.

Enrollment Status and Award Amount

Full Time (12+) = 100%

3/4 Time (9-11.99) = 75%

1/2 Time (6-8.99) = 50%

Less than half time (<6) = 25%

Please note: Students will not be awarded for waitlisted courses or late starting classes unless you are registered in the class before Census Date and attend at least one day in the course. We will not adjust awards for students with completed files after that date.

Students awarded before the midpoint of the semester are awarded in two disbursements.

Second disbursements dates are:

  • Fall 2023 - October 18th

  • Spring 2024 - March 20th

Students awarded after the midpoint of the semester are awarded in one disbursement.

Federal Direct Student Loans

Cabrillo College offers The William D. Ford Federal Direct Loans with Subsidized and Unsubsidized Direct Loan options. For more information, visit our Student Loans page.

Step-by-step instructions are provided on our Student Loans page, under Direct Loan Request Steps.

Exit counseling provides important information that you will need as you prepare to repay your federal student loan(s). During exit counseling, you will review the terms and conditions that apply to your federal student loans, be introduced to various repayment options, and learn the importance of avoiding default.

Exit Counseling is required when you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time enrollment.

To complete Loan Exit Counseling, click here.

For more information on Student Loans, please visit our page.


The student must provide consent for the school to disclose information to the parents, by completing the Student Record Release process.

To watch a video on how the student can complete this process, please click here.

If a student is attending a postsecondary institution - at any age - the rights under FERPA apply (even if they are under 18). The student must provide consent for the school to disclose the information to the parents, by completing the Student Record Release process.

You can find the forms on MyVerify. You will be able to review the forms and using your e-sign pin, you will be able to electronically sign the forms. Parents can access their accounts via this link: