Please read this carefully as failure to comply with these regulations and requirements could result in the loss of your federal and state financial aid.
The Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy is a set of federal regulations that outline how a student must progress academically towards their educational goal in order to remain eligible for federal financial aid. Assessment of the student’s coursework is taken at the end of each term (Fall, Spring, Summer) and applies to your entire academic history at Cabrillo, whether you have received financial aid or not. After your academic progress is evaluated, you will be given a SAP status, each of which will be explained below on this page; Satisfactory, Warning, Disqualified, Probation, Not Eligible, Maximum Timeframe, Extended or Ineligible.
- These standards must be met each term to receive Pell Grant, Federal Work-Study, SEOG, Direct Student Loans, Cal Grant, Chafee Grant, and the Student Success Completion Grant.
The California College Promise Grant is subject to the State of California regulations and eligibility determined by the Cabrillo Admissions and Records Office.
Students must meet ALL SAP requirements each term.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 in all coursework attempted
- Maintain a cumulative course completion rate of at least 67% of all coursework attempted the entire time at Cabrillo
- Stay within the maximum time frame of 150% (see chart below)
Prior College Units
All prior units and degrees from other colleges that have been submitted to Cabrillo will be counted as units attempted toward your Maximum Time Frame.
For financial aid, passed courses with a grade of “D” or better can only be repeated once for payment.
This is different and separate from the Admissions and Records Repeat Policy.
- Students with a BA/BS or Master's degree are not eligible for federal financial aid except for student loans. If you are interested in a student loan, you must be enrolled in an eligible program and must request a SAP Appeal through MyVerify. Loan funding will be restricted to the units on your Educational Plan. Visit our page for more information.
- Completed Units A, B, C, D, CR, and P
- Units attempted but NOT completed: F, NP, W, MW, EW, NC, I, and RD
- Units attempted are defined as the number of units that appear on your permanent record
- Academic Renewal will not impact your SAP status for financial aid. For additional information click on the Cabrillo Course Catalog
Total Units Required for Program
Associate Degree or Transfer
60 units (for most AA/AS degrees)
90 units attempted
Certificate of Achievement
30 units (for most certificate programs
45 units attempted
SAP Statuses Explained
Your status is SATISFACTORY if you meet Minimum Standard Requirements and have not reached or exceeded the Maximum Time Frame for your program.
Your status is WARNING if you did not meet one or both of the GPA or PACE Minimum Standard Requirements but have not yet reached or exceeded the Maximum Timeframe for your program.
Your status is DISQUALIFIED if you do not meet the GPA or PACE Minimum Standard Requirements at the end of your WARNING term. You will not be eligible to receive financial aid until you reach the required GPA and PACE and will be REINSTATED for aid without an appeal when you do so. Students can only have ONE SAP Appeal while at Cabrillo College.
You may appeal if you had extenuating circumstances beyond your control that led to your inability to meet Minimum Standard Requirements. Federal regulations specify extenuating circumstances as one-time events such as student illness or injury, or death of a relative. You also need to demonstrate that your situation has changed to allow you to make satisfactory academic progress.
- If your appeal is approved, your status will be PROBATION.
- If your appeal is not approved, your status will remain DISQUALIFIED.
Supporting documentation is required or your appeal will not be considered.
Your status is PROBATION because your SAP Appeal was approved. You can receive financial aid, however, it is not retroactive. You must meet PROBATION REQUIREMENTS or you will be NOT ELIGIBLE the next term and unable to appeal again.
- If your cumulative GPA is under a 2.0 you must achieve a GPA of at least 2.5 each term until you are off probation.
- If your cumulative GPA is above a 2.0 you must achieve a GPA of at least a 2.0 each term until you are off probation.
Pace of Progress
- If your cumulative Pace is less than 67% you must successfully complete ALL units attempted each term until you are off probation.
- If your cumulative Pace is more than 67% you must successfully complete 67% of all units attempted each term until you are off probation.
Your status is NOT ELIGIBLE because you did not meet Probation Requirements. You cannot file more than one SAP Appeal at Cabrillo College. You are no longer eligible for federal and state grants, including loans, at Cabrillo College.
Your status is MAXIMUM TIME FRAME because you have reached or exceeded over 150% of your program. Students can only file ONE appeal for extension while at Cabrillo College.
- If your SAP Appeal is approved you will be EXTENDED.
- If your appeal is denied, your status will remain MAXIMUM TIME FRAME.
- If you have reached or exceeded the MAXIMUM TIME FRAME for your program but have continuously met MINIMUM STANDARD REQUIREMENTS and have classes remaining to complete your academic goal at Cabrillo College, you may appeal for an extension. To be considered for an extension, you must have an archived Comprehensive Educational Plan and submit a SAP Appeal Form.
- Students with a BA/BS or Master's degree are not eligible for federal financial aid except for student loans. If you are interested in a student loan, you must be enrolled in an eligible program and complete the SAP Appeal process. Loan funding will be restricted to the units on your Educational Plan.
- Extensions may not be granted for changes in majors or multiple degrees or if approaching Lifetime Pell or Loan Aggregate limits.
- If you are required to take remedial and/or ESL courses in order to meet your educational goal, your Maximum Time Frame can be extended. Remedial course work is limited to 30 funded course units.
Your status is EXTENDED because your SAP Appeal for an extension of your Maximum Time Frame was approved. You will be extended based on your archived Comprehensive Educational Plan for a specific number of term(s) or units needed to complete your program.
While EXTENDED, you must meet Probation Requirements. If you do not meet these requirements your status will become INELIGIBLE and you will no longer be eligible to receive aid at Cabrillo.
You were EXTENDED and have exceeded the extension period you were given to complete your program OR you did not meet the minimum standards of your extension. You are not currently eligible for Financial Aid at Cabrillo College unless you can provide proof that you had an extenuating circumstance that kept you from being able to meet the conditions of your extension.
Financial Aid SAP Appeal Process
If you have failed to maintain good SAP standards, you will need to submit an appeal in order to be eligible for federal financial aid.
You may be DISQUALIFIED or MAXIMUM TIME FRAME for financial aid because:
- Minimum Standards were not met- You failed to earn a cumulative 2.0 GPA and/or complete at least 67% of the units you have attempted.
- Maximum Time Frame Exceeded- You have not completed your academic program within the allowed maximum time frame (have attempted more than 150% of the units required for your academic program).
- Bachelor’s/Master’s Degree- Students with BA/BS or Master’s degree are not eligible for state or federal grants but may be eligible for student loans. If you are interested in a student loan, you must be enrolled in an eligible program and complete the SAP Appeal process. Loan funding will be restricted to the units on your Comprehensive Educational Plan.
For detailed instructions on submitting a SAP appeal through MyVerify visit our MyVerify and Appeals page.
If you are only interested in the California College Promise Grant (CCPG fee waiver), you do not need to go through the SAP Appeal process.