How to Apply
Applying for Financial Aid
When applying for financial aid, a student needs to complete a FAFSA or the CA Dream Act application. Depending on how you answer the questions on the application, the Financial Aid Office will be able to determine your eligibility for the Types of Aidavailable at Cabrillo College.
- FAFSA and CA Dream Act applications are available every year on October 1st.
- Students must complete a financial aid application each year they are attending college if they wish to receive financial aid.
Cabrillo's school year begins with the Fall term, is followed by the Spring term, and ends with the Summer session. Ex. Fall 2020-Summer 2021
The priority deadline for submitting your financial aid application is . Some types of funding are limited, so we recommend submitting your application as early as possible after October 1st. If you missed the March 2nd priority filing deadline you will still be eligible for aid but will not be considered for some funds.
2020-2021 School Budget
If you have additional expenses such as childcare, elder care, disability-related expenses (which are not paid by an outside funding agency), or uninsured medical or dental expenses, please let us know. Also, if you must purchase a computer or supplies required for programs that are in excess of the standard budget allowance, you may request adjustments to your budget.
*Enrollment fees are based on 15 units per semester @$46/per unit and are subject to change. This includes summer cost.
|At Home||Away From Home|
|Student Activity Card||20||20|
|Student Center Fee||10||10|
|Student Rep. Fee||2||2|
|Student Transportation Fee||80||80|
|Books & Supplies||2,160||2,160|
|Room & Board||8,784||20,079|
Financial aid eligibility is based on your financial need. Financial need is calculated by subtracting your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from the Standard Student Budget. Once your financial need is determined, Cabrillo College will work to create a financial aid package for you.
Your EFC is calculated each year by the data you provided the California Student Aid Commission(CSAC) and the Federal Processor after filling out a FAFSA or CA Dream Act ap. Your EFC is listed on the Student Aid Report (SAR) after your application has been submitted.
To receive federal financial aid you must:
- Prove financial need, financial need is determined by completing the FAFSA
- Have a high school diploma, a General Education Development (GED) certificate, or complete a high school education in a home school setting that is treated as such under state law
- Be working toward a degree or certificate in an eligible program.
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen
- Have a valid Social Security Number
- Register with the Selective Service if male between the ages of 18-25.
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress throughout your enrollment
- Certify that you are not in default on a federal student loan and do not owe money on a federal student grant
You will be emailed a copy of your Student Aid Report SAR. As soon as you receive your SAR, look it over carefully to make sure your information is correct. Check the following:
- The spelling of your name should match your social security card exactly
- Social security number
- Income information
- Academic level/goal
If no corrections are necessary, keep the SAR for your records. If you need to make corrections please contact the Financial Aid Office right away. Additional documentation may be requested by the Financial Aid Office once your application has been received. You will receive an email from the Financial Aid Office with a link to log into your MyVerify account to complete the additional documents.
- Cabrillo’s School Code is 001124
- Have all the necessary documents on hand when completing the FAFSA, such as your federal tax returns
- Create an FSA ID so you can sign the FAFSA electronically
- Dependent students will need to have a parent create an FSA ID
- The FSA ID can also be used to make corrections to your FAFSA
- Read the questions carefully
- Do not leave any blank fields
- Use a zero if the question does not apply to you
- Remember to sign the FAFSA and obtain all other required signatures
- You cannot receive aid without the required signature(s)
- If you will have a child born before or during the award year (Fall through Summer sessions) who will be your legal dependent, the child should be counted as a member of the household
- If you do not have access to a computer, you can attend a workshop or use a computer on campus to file your FAFSA
The FAFSA application is submitted to the Federal Processor. The Cabrillo Financial Aid office does not process your FAFSA application.