Financial Aid and Scholarships

How to Apply

There are two applications that are available to students who are interested in applying for financial aid.

1. If your are a U.S. Citizen, a Permanent Resident or other Eligible Non-Citizen

*Eligible non-citizen examples include a U.S. permanent resident who has a green card (Permanent Resident Card), a conditional permanent resident with a conditional Green Card, or a "refugee".

***Complete the FAFSA***

2. If you are an Undocumented Immigrant and AB540 Eligible

*** Complete the CADAA***

Financial Aid Application Priority Deadline:

March 2nd

Some funding may be limited. This is why we recommend that students submit their Financial Aid Application (FAFSA or CADAA) as soon as possible after it becomes available on October 1st*. If you missed the March 2nd priority filing deadline, you will still be eligible for aid but will not be considered for all of the aid that is offered.

*The 2024-2025 application will be delayed due to the Simplification Act and the changes being made to the application. We will be posting the date when the application will be available as soon as it is announced. We have been notified that for the 2024-2025 application the priority deadline will be moved to April 2, 2024.

  • Students must complete their corresponding financial aid application EACH YEAR that they are attending college, if they want to be considered for financial aid.

  • 2024-2025 FAFSA/CADAA application will open in December 2023.

  • Cabrillo College's school year begins with the Fall term, is followed by the Spring term, and ends with the Summer session. Ex: Fall 2023-Summer 2024

  • Make sure to include our Federal School Code: 001124, if you wished to be considered for financial aid at our school.

  • Financial Aid Eligibility is determine by the information provided on your application.


To be eligible to receive Federal Student Aid, you must meet the following:


To be eligible to receive State Student Aid, you must meet the following:

  • Be Undocumented

  • Have a valid or expired DACA

  • Reside in California with a U-Visa

  • Reside in California with a Temporary Protected Status (TPS)

  • Meet the non-resident exemption requirements under AB 540, AB 2000, SB 68

  • Demonstrate a financial need

  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress

  • Complete all documents requested by the Financial Aid office.

Financial aid eligibility is based on your financial need.

Financial Need = Cost of Attendance (COA) - Expected Family Contribution (EFC)

Your EFC is calculated each year by the data you provided the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) and the Federal Processor after filling out a CADAA or FAFSA. Once your financial need is determined, the Financial Aid office will work to create a financial aid package for you.

Cabrillo College School Code: 001124

What is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid?

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) allows U.S. Citizen, a Permanent Resident or other Eligible Non-Citizen students who meet certain requirements to apply for federal student aid, such as federal grants, work-study, and student loans.

Application Process:

  • Gather all the necessary documents (2023-2024 application)

  • Create a FSA ID (This will serve as your electronic signature.)

  • Make sure that you do not leave any questions unanswered

  • Make sure that your FAFSA has been signed by you and your parent if you are a dependent.

  • If you will have a child born before or during the award year (Fall through Summer sessions) who will be your legal dependent, the child should be counted as a member of the household

For Student with Undocumented Parent(s):

  • You will need to put all zeros when the application asks for parent's social security number.

  • For the FAFSA: Your parent will not be able to create an FSA ID to sign your application. You will need to print out the signature page provided at the end of the application and mail it to the address provided on the page for processing or contact the Financial Aid office for an alternative signature page.

Please keep in mind that the Financial Aid office does not process applications, they are submitted to the Federal Processor.

Cabrillo College School Code: 00112400

What is the California Dream Act?

The California Dream Act (CADAA) allows undocumented and nonresident documented students who meet certain provisions to apply for and receive private scholarships funded through public universities, state administered financial aid, University grants, community college fee waivers, and Cal Grants.

Who Can Apply for the California Dream Act?

Undocumented students who live in California and meet the eligibility requirements of Assembly Bill (AB) 540 or AB 2000

What aid does an AB 540 student qualify for?

What steps do you need to complete?

  1. Complete your CADAA application, you will need the following documents (2023-2024)

  2. Create a Web Grants for Students Account to monitor your Cal Grant Award

  3. Complete and submit the AR - California Nonresident Tuition Exemption through eforms, by using your student ID and Self-service password to log in. View the California Residency Requirement here. If you have any questions about this form, please contact the Admissions and Records department.

  4. Submit any documents that are requested by Financial Aid Office through MyVerify

What happens after you apply?

  • After completing the CADAA, the CSAC will send your application data to all of the colleges listed on your application. After allowing for processing time, 8-10 business days, you may follow up with those colleges to determine whether you are eligible for campus aid. (Processing occurs continuously for new applicants throughout the academic year)

  • The Financial Aid Office will download your application and determine if you are eligible for a CCPG, Cal Grant, or SSCG.

On Campus Resource For Undocumented Students

The Office of Student Equity has a Dream Resource Program that supports students who are aspiring citizens, including students who may or may not qualify for AB540 or DACA status.

After you submit your FAFSA form, you’ll get a SAR, an electronic or paper document that summarizes the information you reported on your FAFSA form. It includes your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), your estimated eligibility for federal student loans and Federal Pell Grants.

What to do once you have received your SAR?

Make sure that you verify that the following information is correct:

  • Your name appears exactly the same as in your Social Security Card

  • Social Security Number (SSN)

  • Date of Birth

  • Income Information

  • Academic level/ goal

If no corrections are necessary, keep the SAR for your records. If you need to make corrections please contact the Financial Aid Office right away.

Your School Budget

Please contact your financial aid advisor if you have any additional expenses, which are not paid by an outside funding agency; such as childcare, elder care, disability-related expenses, uninsured medical or dental expenses, or if you are required to purchase a computer or supplies for your program that exceed the standard budget allowance. You can request an adjustment to your school budget, if any of the above apply to you.

*Enrollment fees in the table below are based on 15 units per semester at $46/unit, not including the summer term, and are subject to change. Summer fees include $22 for Health Fees and $20 for Transportation Fees. For students with a CCPG fee waiver, enrollment fees will be waived. Out-of-state Students are charged $46 plus an additional $358 per unit for total of $404 per unit and international students an additional $2 per unit for a total of $406 per unit, effective Summer '23.

2023-2024 Budget

At Home

Away From Home

Enrollment Fees



Health Fees



Student Activity Card



Student Center Fee



Student Rep. Fee



Student Transportation Fee



Books and Supplies



Food and Housing






Personal Expenses