Skip to Site Navigation | Skip to Local Navigation | Skip to Content
students in cafeteria

FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) on...

Which application do I complete? 2016-2017 or 2017-18?
The 2016-2017 FAFSA application started Fall of 2016, and ends as soon as Summer 2017 is over. At the end of Summer 2017, the 2016-2017 FAFSA application is no longer used for any type of aid at Cabrillo College. If you will be enrolled in any of the following terms: Fall 2017, Spring 2018, or Summer 2018 - then you will want to complete the 2017-2018 FAFSA application (available beginning October 2016). The 2018-2019 FAFSA application will be available as soon as October 1st, 2017.
What is Cabrillo College's school code?
Cabrillo's school code is 001124.
Am I Dependent or Independent?
Can you answer “YES” to any one of the following statements?:
  • You are or will be 24 years old by January 1st of the calendar year; or
  • You are married; or
  • You have children who receive more than half their support from you; or
  • You have dependents (other than your spouse or children) that live with you and receive more than half their support from you; or
  • Your parents are deceased or you were a ward of the court since age 13; or
  • You are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces; or
  • You are currently on Active duty with the U.S. Armed Forces; or
  • You are enrolled in a masters or doctorate program; or
  • You were in foster care since age turning age 13
  • You are or were an emancipated minor
  • You are or were in legal guardianship
  • You are homeless or at risk of being homeless

If the answer is "Yes" to any of the above statements, you are considered an Independent student. If you answered “No” to all of these questions, regardless of your living situation, you are considered a Dependent student for all Federal Funding purposes.

What if I need help completing my FAFSA?
If you need help filing your FAFSA you may contact our office or attend a workshop. Visit our workshops page for dates and times as well a list of what information/documents you will need to complete a FAFSA. Also read our Tips for Completing the FAFSA page.
How will I know if I need to submit any additional documents to the Financial Aid Office for my financial aid application?
Visit our Check My Status page.

Board oF Governor's Enrollment Fee Waiver (a.k.a "BOG")
What is a BOG Fee Waiver and how can I get one?

The BOG program is for eligible California residents to help pay for tuition. The BOG is an electronic transaction which will waive the enrollment cost per unit (whether it be 1 unit or 21 units) and a portion of your parking permit for Fall and Spring semesters (you pay $20 ). The BOG Enrollment Fee Waiver does not have to be paid back. You may be eligible for a fee waiver even if you are not eligible for other types of aid.

Note: Fee waivers do not apply to class material fees, Health Services Fee, Bus passes, Student Activity card, Student Rep fee or any other optional fees. Students are responsible for making sure all fees have been paid.

If you must pay for your enrollment fees before your fee waiver is awarded, your tuition cost will be refunded to you once your fee waiver is processed as long as your fee waiver is awarded during that same semester. Please see Student Accounts in the Welcome Center for further refund questions.

Eligibility for the BOG will be automatically determined as soon as the Financial Aid Office receives the results of your FAFSA electronically. You will be contacted by the Financial Aid Office once eligibility is determined. You can also check the status of your awards online on WebAdvisor. Students who are currently receiving benefits from TANF/Cal Works, SSI/SSP, General Relief, or a certified veteran dependent by California Department of Veteran Affairs are eligible for a BOG as long as they are California residents. Just bring current proof of benefits (dated within the last 30 days) along with a completed BOG application to the Financial Aid Office. You will still need to complete the FAFSA to apply for other types of financial aid.

I submitted my BOG application, how do I know if I got it?
Generally, if you submit an application in person and it is accepted your BOG award is entered then. You check any awards you have from the Student Menu in WebAdvisor. Click on ‘Financial Aid Status by Year’ and then select the current school year. If you have been awarded a BOG fee waiver it will be listed here.
If I receive a BOG Fee waiver after I pay for my classes, what do I do?
All students need to do is ensure that they have a BOG fee waiver before the end of the school semester and they will be refunded their tuition cost per unit and a portion of their parking permit cost from Student Accounts. Please remember: the only way to get a refund for a term is to ensure your BOG was processed before the end of that term. For further general refund questions or information about your refund status, please contact Student Accounts in the Welcome Center.
I received BOG last semester. Do I need to reapply?
BOG fee waivers are good for a school year. The school year begins in the Fall and ends with the Summer. You need to reapply for BOG every Fall.

How long does the whole Financial Aid Process take?
What is the deadline to apply for financial aid?
But what if my parents or I make too much money? I don’t think I’m eligible?
Just apply! Many students are eligible for some type of aid. Leave eligibility up to the Department of Education and the Financial Aid Office to determine.
How do I know if I am eligible? What types of aid will I get?
The best way to determine what you may be eligible for is to apply by completing a FAFSA. Many students are eligible for some type of aid. To get an early estimate of your eligibility for federal student financial aid you may use FAFSA4caster.
How long can I receive Financial Aid?

There are two answers to this question. One is how long you can receive aid while you are at Cabrillo College, the other is how long you can receive the Federal Pell Grant for your entire college career.

At Cabrillo College, you may only receive aid for up to 150% of your program. This is called your Maximum Time Frame. For more information read our Academic Requirements page.

For your entire college career, there is a maximum lifetime limit for the Federal Pell Grant of 18 full-time semesters or its equivalent.

Do my grades matter?
Yes. All students who apply for Financial Aid will have their academics reviewed to verify that they are making "SAP" or Satisfactory Academic Progress. Maintaining this academic progress means that students complete the classes they attempt with a passing or credit grade on their academic transcripts. Students must also keep their GPA above 2.0 and cannot exceed the allowable degree applicable units to complete an A.A., A.S., Vocational Certificate or Transfer program. Please read our Academic Requirements page for more information.
I am transferring mid year to or from another college. How do I transfer my aid?
Unfortunately, there is no way to "transfer" your aid from college to college. You can easily transfer your FAFSA by going to and adding the school code of the college you will be transferring to. Cabrillo's school code is 001124. Aside from the FAFSA, you will always need to complete the process for receiving aid at each college seperately which includes submitting paperwork again (forms vary college to college) and following the new schools processing timelines. Tip: If you submitted taxes, documentation for a dependency change, or change of income circumstances and did not keep a copy, you may want to request a copy of them before you leave and have them with you in case you need to submit them again. Read more on transferring to Cabrillo.
How do I check my status?
Visit our Check My Status page.
How can I view my financial aid award?
Visit our Check My Status page.
Top 11 reasons your financial aid could be delayed...


  1. Cabrillo College is not listed on your FAFSA. (School code is 001124)
  2. The name on your FAFSA does not match the name on your Social Security Card.
  3. You did not sign your FAFSA or send in the signature page from FAFSA on the Web.
  4. You made corrections to parental information FAFSA but the parent signature is missing.
  5. You made corrections on your FAFSA but your signature is missing.
  6. You received email from our office but forgot to read it. (Read everything you get very carefully.)
  7. Your documents weren't turned into our office in a timely manner.
  8. Your documents were incomplete.
  9. When you filed your FAFSA, you used estimated income and tax information, and when you filed your tax return, the information was different but you didn't correct your FAFSA.
  10. You didn't make Satisfactory Academic Progress the prior semester.
  11. Your FAFSA was filed after March 2nd.

Back to top

Academic Requirements, Dropping Classes
What are the GPA Requirements?

You must maintain a grade point average of at least 2.0 and complete the mininmum unit completion requirement for your enrollment status.

For more information visit our Academic Requirements page.

How many units must I complete each term?
What if I don’t meet the Financial Aid academic requirements?

Students who have not met Minimum Standard Requirements will be placed on Financial Aid Warning.

Note: You are still eligible to receive financial aid while on Financial Aid Warning.

Students who do not meet Minimum Standard Requirements at the end of their Financial Aid Warning semester, will be Disqualified for the next term.

For more information visit our Academic Requirements page.

I have a high GPA, why am I on Financial Aid Warning?

Students who have not met Minimum Standard Requirements are placed on Financial Aid Warning. There is a GPA requirement and a unit completion requirement.  Often students have a high GPA but did not meet the unit completion requirement. Reminder: Grades of "W" count as units attempted.

You can check your GPA and units completed in WebAdvisor through the Grades by Term link. If any of that information seems incorrect, contact your instructor and Admissions and Records. Notify us once the grade is corrected.

Note: You are still eligible to receive financial aid while on Financial Aid Warning.

What if I'm placed on Financial Aid Warning?
  • You are still eligible to receive financial aid
  • You must meet Minimum Standard Requirements
  • We strongly suggest you take a manageable course load.

If you do NOT meet the Minimum Standard Requirements during your FInancial Aid Warning term, you will be Disqualified.

What if I’m Disqualified, what are my options?
  • You can still receive a BOG enrollment fee waiver;
  • You may request Reinstatement for the following term IF you meet the Reinstatement requirements.
  • If you do not already have an approved appeal on file and are Disqualified because of extenuating circumstances beyond your control (federal regulations specify these as one time events such as ‘student illness or injury, or death of a relative’) AND, your situation has changed to allow you to demonstrate satisfactory academic progress, you may submit a Minimum Standard Requirements Appeal form. Official supporting documentation explaining the extenuating circumstances is REQUIRED or your appeal will not be considered. (See Minimum Standard Exceptions)
How do I avoid Disqualification?
What if I'm on extension due to a Maximum Time Frame Appeal and do NOT meet Minimum Standard Requirements?

If you are on a Maximum Timeframe extension and do not meet Minimum Standard Requirements and/or you have reached the extended time period given, your status will become Ineligible.

Once you become Ineligible, there are no further appeals and you will not be eligible for Reinstatement.

What If I withdraw from Cabrillo?
What if I drop a class?

Dropping a class can result in SAP problems and/or Overpayment issues.

Depending on your current SAP status you may be placed on Financial Aid Warning, Disqualification, or become Ineligble. See our Academic Requirements page for complete information on SAP policy and statuses.

Depending on when you drop, you may also owe money. Please see our Dropping Classes And Your Financial Aid page.

Awards and Disbursements
Why did I receive less $$ than is listed on my award letter?

Your Financial Aid award letter amounts are based on full-time enrollment. If you are enrolled in less than full-time units, the amount will be based on the number of units of enrollment (see chart below).

Enrollment Status Award Amount
12+ units = Full-time 100%
9-11.99 units = 3/4 time 75%
6-8.99 units = 1/2 time 50%
<6 units - less than 1/2 time Less than 25%


Please note: Classes that you were not registered in during the first week of the term including classes that do not start the first week of the term/semester (late start classes or special studies) are not counted for payment.

If I add classes LATE (after class has already started), will I still receive a disbursement for those classes?
To be paid for a class, you must also be enrolled in the class by the end of the first week of the term. This includes special studies, short-term and weekend classes. Being on a waitlist does not count as enrolled.
When will I receive my second disbursement?

Students awarded before the midpoint of the semester are awarded in two disbursements.

Second disbursements dates are:
Fall 2017 - October 26th
Spring 2018 - March 22nd

Students awarded after the midpoint of the semester are awarded in one disbursement. If you have not been awarded and would like to know the status of your application, please visit our Check My Status page.

What loans does Cabrillo offer?
Visit our Student Loans page.
How do I apply for a student loan at Cabrillo?
Visit our Student Loans page.
What is the loan processing timeline?
Visit our Student Loans page. Note: This is in addition to the Financial Aid processing timeline.
What is exit counseling and where do I find it?
Exit Counseling requirements are on our Student Loans page under the Loan Application Process. To complete Loan Exit Counseling go to

If I am a parent of a college student, do I have the right to see my child's education records, especially if I pay the bill?
The student must provide consent for the school to disclose the information to the parents by submitting an Authorization to Release Information form to our office.
Can a postsecondary institution disclose financial records of a student with the student's parents?
The student must provide consent for the school to disclose the information to the parents by submitting an Authorization to Release Information form to our office.
What if my child is a minor and he or she is taking classes at a local college while still in high school - do I have rights?
If a student is attending a postsecondary institution - at any age - the rights under FERPA apply (even if they are under 18.). The student must provide consent for the school to disclose the information to the parents by submitting an Authorization to Release Information form to our office.
I have been requested to submit forms for my student, where can I find them and how can I submit them?
You can find Parent forms on our eForms page. These forms are pdfs that you will need to print, complete and submit to our office. You may submit these forms to us by mail, as an attactment via email or fax them to us at 831-479-5016. Please submit only forms that have been requested. Forms submitted that have not been requested will be discarded.

Back to top

    Was this page helpful?    
Just Report It Ask Cabrillo WebAdvisor Cabrillo Library Cabrillo Bookstore  Canvas icon  Facebook Icon Twitter Icon YouTube

© 2013 Cabrillo Community College District

Campus Safety | Accessibility | Title IX

Main Campus, 6500 Soquel Drive Aptos CA 95003, 831.479.6100